SRS Job = Depression & Loneliness

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by crown royal, Nov 1, 2006.

1. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

OK - backstory. I left school about 1.5 years ago because it just wasn't working out. I was in major debt, I suck at studying, procrastinator, yada yada, same old story.

I got a job and worked hard to earn a permanent position, however, the job is a travel heavy deal. I make good money (55-70K/year), and am damn good at it (usually). The catch is I work away from home all the time. I was told it would be kinda like, leave home for a month, work, go back for a few days.

Well, in July, I got assigned to a job about 1000K miles away from home. I came out here and discovered that I would not be working in an office - rather that it was a one man operation and I would be working from my hotel room.

So for 4 months, I have been out here in isolation from my friends and family. I have gone home for 1 weekend because my apt lease was up - I had to move all my stuff out. Other than that, I have been stuck out here with no friends or people to talk to. The only human interaction I have had is with clients about 3 times a day, and on the telephone.

It has been hard, but October was the toughest month (month 4). I have been getting major bouts of anxiety - the sound of my cell phone gives me the shakes. For the past few weeks it has been getting worse and worse - prohibitively so.

Now I have posted the least productive month ever in a month. Without getting into specifics, it is putrid. I make no excuses - my job is my responsibility, and I have majorly dropped the ball. I am now facing probation or even release from my job.

The thing is - I don't care. I am completely lonely, depressed, and care about nothing but getting home again. I would nearly welcome being fired.

Can anyone suggest something to me that might help for a while? This isn;t like me - I normally take pride in my work and a job well done, and being fired is pretty much the most terrifying thought I have ever had, except for right now. This is wrong - and not a good thing. I just miss feeling like I have friends, that I'm not isolated and that I can breathe.

Any suggestions or stories of a similar situation, I would appreciate it.

:sadwavey:

2. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

move back home, quit your job, and get a real life!!

either that, or save up with your job for a deposit on a house, do job searching, and move back home!!

either that or start getting better acquainted with your surroundings!! :)

3. JS1

JS1 sup

Quit before you get fired.

4. crown royal

I would have spent some time getting aquainted - but I never expected to be here 4 months. That is too long for the assignment and uncommon for our job. I should have been sent back home some time earlier.

I called my boss yesterday and let him know point blank that I expect to be home next week, regardless. I let him know that I am depressed and have been here far too long. He agreed and said I could go home.

The problem now is that the end of the month was today and my production was crap. I am going to go back home and assess my situation. I can't be away like this.

What bothers me more than anything is my willingness to get fired. I just don't care anymore. I should have quit weeks ago before I got this bad, but I didn't. Now I feel I have let down people other than myself, such as my boss, coworkers, clients, etc.

5. crown royal

Yeah - I hope it isn't too late for that.:hsd:

BTW - the place I had to go was Columbia, SC - I spend a lot of time in Greenville.

How do you survive this place?:hsugh:

6. Nightshade

Nightshade New Member

maybe you weren't mature enough to tackle a full-time job??

ah, well, maybe next time, then, buddy??

7. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

what exactly are you doing that requires you to be gone for 4 months at a time and not able to even go home on weekends?

I think you need to find a new job...

8. harleysilo

harleysilo New Member

What do you do? Sales? Company wouldn't fly you home?

Sucks you let it get this bad for this long. Quit before you get fired. Go back to school.

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I know the feeling of wanting to be fired. My last job was in IS. LONG weeks, mandatory weekends, no overtime pay, low salary, etc. I wanted to be fired. One day I was at the orthodontist, getting my wisdom teeth pulled, and I realized that I would rather be doing that than being at work.

So, I quit. It was awesome. But here's what I learned: quitting makes it harder to get unemployment than if you get fired. So I would recommend that you don't quit if you can help it. If you quit, the unemployment guy will interview you, and he will interview your manager before making the decision to approve you or not.

It sounds like you're making a lot of money. Hopefully you have some saved up and if you quit/get fired you will be ok for 6 months or so.

Can you talk to your boss and see if you can get a different assignment? 4 months in a hotel room is nuts.

But if you're only meeting clients ON THE PHONE, why can't you do that from home, or from your home office? Why must you be in a hotel 1000 miles away?

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I just realized that's 1,000,000 miles. They sent you to the moon? :rofl:

11. gweary

gweary New Member

I would work on finding a new job, I have had to deal with similar situations, if you don't keep yourself tapped into real people, you lose your sanity. You have to make time for yourself, that is why you hear of all these 'successful' people committing suicide, they are so lonely that they get depressed just like this, phase yourself out of this job and start a job that isn't so rigorous/strenuous.

12. kingrukus

kingrukus New Member

:rofl:

13. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

You can't just tell the management at your current job that you're burning out with the current assignment, and ask to be reassigned again?