Job change: may not have the opp. to go to a gym now...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Triple-C, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triple-C

Triple-C New Member

I go to the gym to maintain my weight... not to get muscular, but just not to get fat.
    I am considering cancelling going to the gym all together because I do not think I will have time and/or opportunity to go to the gym once I start.

Do you feel that I will stay in shape as much if I do workout videos?
    For instance, I like the Comcast On Demand videos a lot.

I am wondering if going TO a gym will make a difference or if I can stay in just as much shape doing videos.

Thanks

2. NickStam

NickStam Buy Low, Sell High

What do you currently do when you go the gym?

3. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

If you just go to "not be fat", doing bodyweight training and cardio at home with a good diet would probably be sufficient. Not as good as going to the gym though.

4. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

Just buy a stairstepper or a treadmill for your house/apartment.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

If general fitness and weight management are your interests, there is plenty of shit you can do outside of a gym. Cardio stuff is obvious (walk, jog, bike or get an elliptical, treadmill, etc...). For strength training, look for a book called "The Naked Warrior" by Pavel Tsatsouline... strength training concepts, routines, and exercises using bodyweight and a minimal amount of equipment.

6. Elfling

Elfling New Member

There is *always* time to go to the gym, imo. I've never stopped going, not even during my working two jobs, 14 hours a day phase that lasted a year. If you really want to, you'll find the time somehow..and of course there's the other options people have put forth about in-home stuff.

7. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

That's really how I feel about it :o

8. Triple-C

Triple-C New Member

I agree, but I am also thinking that it would be extra nice to save myself the money as well, because I am SEVERELY lacking in funds...

to answer NickStam,
    I use the treadmill/stairmaster/some yellow cardio machine for a little while, and then I use the machine weights for abs, legs and arms...
    I dont do a whole hell of a lot at the gym, i spend a max. of about 45 mins there... thats why Im thinking it may be an equally as effective/cheaper way to keep myself in shape ...
    but im not really sure, so thats why Im asking you guys :dunno:

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Then you're probably right :) You can get a decent dumbbell set at Modell's or whatever for >200 bucks. If you shop, you can probably find used weights somewhere for even cheaper. And running/walking outside is free :wiggle:

10. freeskiwp

freeskiwp New Member

yeah, what he said.

11. jonno

jonno New Member

:nono:

12. Elfling

Elfling New Member

*chuckles* It's cool, I'd rather be thought a guy half the time here anyways :o

I just do find it funny because to me, Elfling is not a very manly name.

13. Triple-C

Triple-C New Member

sounds good... at least I know if I DO make the decision to drop the gym and just do videos and stuff on my own, it wont make a huge difference from what I do at the gym :o

14. MikeTheVike1

MikeTheVike1 OT Supporter

spending money on a gym, might be more motivation for you to go...

15. freeskiwp

freeskiwp New Member

im sorry elfling .im retarded

16. Triple-C

Triple-C New Member

thats what I thought, and it worked for about 6 mos, but since the payment for the gym isnt making a HUGE dent in my budget, Ive realized that I just kinda "figure" my way out of the payment now.... I consider it less out of my paycheck now rather than less out of my take-home, if that makes any sense...

I :dunno: I guess Im just looking for words of encouragement as far as dropping the gym and doing it on my own... I almost have my mind made up, but Im looking for someone to tell me its a GREAT idea or HORRIBLE idea, based on the facts ive given

17. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Pushups, Hindu squats, upsidedown pushups, there is always an option.

18. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

I don't know about everyone else, but paying for a gym motivates me to go. I spend xx amount of dollars a month for equipment that I'd better be using. If I didn't spend a dime, I'd probably be sitting home doing pushups and situps thinking I'd get massive. But the fact that I pay motivates me. I think if you can, just try to continue going to a gym w/ a (paid?) membership so that you'd have a reason to go out. Plus, while you're there you get to have a certain mentality that you might not be able to achieve at home.

If you're not looking at that route, I think that motivation would be key in terms of working out several times a week. So maybe get a buddy to run with you or something...I don't know. I'm kind of rambling.

19. BluSpecs

BluSpecs New Member

I think allot of it depends on how you get motivated.

About 3 years ago I prepaid a gym membership and could never get motivated to go. As a result I never really made any progress and fatened up. I also let the membership lapse after it expired.

I finally decided to do something about being out of shape and bought a bench/squat rack and dug out my old free weights.

I started working out again on April 1st and have been hugely motivated so far. I'm doing the dreaded cardio by taking my boxer on bikerides 3-4 times a week and lifting 3 nights a week.

I've dropped 18 pounds (mostly water i'm sure) so far and I swear I feel stronger.

I screwed up and dropped a grip on my gym membership and never used it.

I spent $200 on a decent home bench and use it all the time. I even look forward to using it.

Food for thought anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.