JL w7 and a few questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IspitHotFire, May 11, 2004.

1. IspitHotFire

IspitHotFire 3 Greatest rappers of all time ? Dylan, Dylan, and

I want to put a new system in my g35 sedan because If i have to listen to this bose shit ONE more day ill kill somebody.

I was thinking doing 2 10 inch w7's in the trunk (custom install to make it look nice, my last car I just had 2 12's in a big grey box and it looked like shit.)

Sealed, Ported? My friend told me it would be best to go ported........

Also, the stock head unit is a complete BITCH to take out in a g35. It's double din not to mention it's connected to the AC contol board so if you want a new radio you need to buy the AC controller..... parts alone would end up costing ~400 shipped directly from japan just to get the right trim pieces to make it 2 single dins.

Couldn't I just add a LOC to the stock Clarion HU (6 disc in dash) ?

Or would i be better off after spending all this money for custom install and the w7's ponying up for the complete HU conversion.... which would run me ~800 dollars more.

2. 04

04 Guest

I would stick with the factory headunit, especially since it would cost 800 dollars to get an aftermarket one put in. Plus, it will look stock and theives wont think you have any equipment in your car. I highly suggest a David Navone LOC www.davidnavone.com

As for the W7, ported enclosures are generally louder, but will also be larger than a sealed enclosure, and are harder to get a flat frequency response out of when compared to a sealed design. GENERALLY, I would reccomend a vented design if you like rap/techno or just overall loud bass, and a sealed design for other music types, although it really depends. You might want to look into getting say a single 13W7 rather than two smaller sized woofers also.

3. IspitHotFire

Thanks for the advice, vented sounds good. My friend has a vented box with his 2 jl w3's and they are good.

Also, I have an extra JBL 1200.1 left over from my last install ( i opted to buy all the parts on line and just pay for Sound Advice to install them)..... this time around Im just gonna bite the bullet and pay retail in exchange for good service and replacements. Whats your opinion on the 1200.1 powering the w7(1 or 2 ) ? I cant see paying good money for a new amp if the JBL is any good.

I'm going down there tommorow, see what kind of price they give me.

4. On_One

On_One Guest

If you are going to port the W7's and use the 1200.1 you'll either need to get outboard sub sonic filter or tune the driver pretty low.

5. On_One

On_One Guest

Why go with 2 W7's when a single IDMAX will outperform them :dunno: :o

6. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

disregarding cost, i would take a single 12w7 any day over an IDMAX, not to say the IDMAX isn't badass cause it is :hs:

7. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I would use the majority of your trunk and go with a pair of audioque HD12's.
    [​IMG]

something along the lines of 8ft^3 tuned somewhere 30-35 would be fun.
    Get a nice JBL BPX2200.1 to power them and you'll be set to blow away the competition.

8. IspitHotFire

Thing is, I'm buying from sound advice so i doubt they carry IDmax or that sub.

Only reason is they are pretty good about service and repair etc. Just bring it in if its busted and theyll send it back and give you a new one.

And I also don't want to buy subs i've never heard before. Last time I ordered 2 Shivas and they did not impress me at all.

9. On_One

On_One Guest

I guess you missed the other thread;)

10. On_One

On_One Guest

What size enclosure were you running them in? They need a relatively large enclosure as they were designed as Home Audio drivers. In the right box they perform very well and IMHO are superior to the JL W3's.

11. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

1 IDMAX outperforming 2 W7's. I highly doubt it.

12. 04

04 Guest

13. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

it's a joke...from another thread...