MMA Jim Lampley's knock on MMA

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by jeffswain, May 6, 2007.

1. jeffswain

jeffswain OT Supporter

anyone catch lampley's condescending statement about mma post fight tonight? he described how boxing's popularity is being threatened by other contact sports such as MMA. but he then said that the skill of mma fighters is light years behind any boxer, or something to that effect. hey lampley, you're really good at boxing...when you are fighting a woman in a hotel room

2. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

Then Kellerman totally disagreed with him and talked up MMA and thus probably just landed the spot calling the UFC fights on HBO.

3. damiand

damiand Proceed

you dont think boxing is light years ahead? pretty naive to think otherwise, the sport has been around for much longer then MMA, and it really has evolved into a sweet science. Very few MMA fighters are truly MMA fighters, it will happen in the next 10 years, but for now, yah as a HUGE MMA fan, I agree MMA is light years behind.

ANd oh yah, dont try and compare the two by saying sean sherk could destroy mayweather in a cage fight, no shit he could. this has nothing to do with how fine tuned a boxing match can be compared to a MMA bout.

4. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

i guess by that line of logic karate is beyond lightyears ahead of boxing, i mean its established eh?

5. Shrug

btw in your post you reference boxing as fine tuned and established ergo its a better sport but I think the original idea from the 1st post was to discredit the athletes of MMA, not the rules of thier competition :p

6. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

Indeed. Attacking MMA outta nowhere. Pretty messed up.

7. Titus

Titus New Member

i don't wanna see any of those fools announcing for the ufc when they start on hbo...

8. theronald

theronald New Member

Considering that MMA has been taking jabs at boxing since it's inception, I don't see anything wrong with boxing taking a little jab back every now and then. And I think what Lampley was trying to say is that the conditioning required and the physical abuse that boxers have to overcome is way ahead of boxing. And I can't say that I disagree.

9. theronald

theronald New Member

'scuse me... " the physical abuse that boxers have to overcome is way ahead of MMA* ":ugh:

10. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

sure its more barbaric in that they take repeated blows to the head and are often out on their feet, rest for 8 seconds, then repeat. But they're doing shorter rounds, and if you've never sprawled, rolled, got back up and traded, then you have no idea how much more physically demanding it is. I mean seriously, if you stand there and swing you're gonna use more energy than if you are rolling, defending takedowns/shooting for takedowns, kicking and punching? :ugh: C'mon...

And personally i've never heard Goldi, Joe, or anybody sit there and attack boxing after a main event....

11. DooDoobutter

DooDoobutter New Member

boxers do endure more physical punishment.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

nobody watches boxing anymore and they know they are being passed up by MMA and they're bitter, oh well.

i can't remember the last boxing match i was excited to watch, probably the 1st tyson v holyfield fight i guess, MMA, hell every month there's a ppv with a few fights i'm excited to see

13. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

MMA is a combination of sports, each of them just as refined as boxing. Shit, boxing is one of the sports under the MMA umbrella.

Boxing is so fine tuned because it is so limited compared to MMA.

14. Shrug

i dont know man those windy gloves are just big enough not to break your hand, you mine as well be catching punches and elbows with no gloves. With the ability to mount someone and deliver insane punishment from the top i dont see how itd be preferable to being knocked out on my feet.

15. theronald

theronald New Member

Out of most UFC or Pride fights that I've seen neither guy throws half as many strikes as a boxer does and when they take it to the ground they stay in the same position for what seems like hours. I'm not saying that the guys in MMA aren't in excellent condition but boxers endure way more punishment than MMA fighters. I remember hearing about when Frank Mir was commentating during some UFC event and he said something to the effect of " Let's see Bernard Hopkins do that in the octagon ". So.. MMA isn't exactly innocent when it comes to taking jabs at boxing.

16. Suspect

Suspect .

isnt that the same dumbass that got in trouble for beating up his girlfriend?! :ugh:

17. Suspect

Suspect .

18. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

well, i think its more along the lines of the fact that sports such as boxing, football, soccer, baseball, basketball are getting better human specimens fine tuned for their sports.

with the salaries that the forementioned sports pay to their athletes and the amount of interest they have nationally or globally, most of the professionals in those sports are training for their career sports from very young ages and facing elite competition throughout their lives. so yeah, most major sports are light years ahead...

and with that said... the best is yet to come for mma. these are exciting times for us fans that get to see the evolution of a truly amazing sport. :noes: :bowdown:

19. acidix

acidix Ua mau, ke ea o ka `aina, i ka pono

This is boxing's swansong unless they can do something to rejuvenate the sport they will lose a lot of popularity. Boxing will never die out, but it is possible that in the next 5-10 years MMA can pass it if promoters are smart about it.

As for these comments, people who are hardcore MMA or Boxing fans and hate the other sport aren't going to care, and fence-sitters are not really going to be persuaded by columnists who talk ALL DAY calling out mma or boxing.

20. Neal&Bob

Neal&Bob New Member

All I can say is.......I watched that BORING ASS 12 round fight where they hit each other in the face repeatedly and at the end of the fight NOT ONE of the fighters seemed to have a bruise or a bloody nose.

I compare it to a roller durby vs. bumber cars. One is more realistic than the other.

21. Neal&Bob

Neal&Bob New Member

The fact is: A top pro boxer would be schooled by the majority of MMA fighers. You can't even compare the two sports....its just not fair. If an MMA figher boxed against a boxer.....well then you have an arguement. If you put an MMA figher in the CAGE against a boxer, it would be a slaughter.

22. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

what are you talking about, are you saying you think MMA fighters can beat boxers at boxing?

Felix Trinidad vs Sean Sherk would you honestly pick sherk in a boxing match? MMA yes, boxing no. come on man

23. Shrug

uh he just said the exact opposite of that

24. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

ok

25. jeffswain

jeffswain OT Supporter

lol wtf read slower