Jetta GLI

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by ElCidKid, Dec 31, 2006.

1. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

Anyone own a Jetta GLI with the 6 speed and the VR6.
    I'm looking at buying one but all i hear are nightmare stories of VW reliability.

2. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

Reliability isnt too bad. Lots of little problems.

Drive it and check out www.vwvortex.com

3. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

i'll probably get flamed for posting, but whatever.

it's a solid car if you are handy under the hood or don't mind a few repair bills. i wouldnt' call the 24V VR a nightmare, but to better answer your question, you need more specifics. has the timing belt and water pump been changed? do you have the service records for the car you are interested in? is it modified at all? are you going to modify it at all?

and vwvortex.com will give you a headache, but it's a necessary evil when owning a VW. if possible, when looking for information avoid the mk 4 forums and learn as much as you can in the tech forums, specifically, the 24V VR6 forum.

4. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

I've been on VWVortex and they have been kinda helpful.
    I'm going ask about the Timing belt and waterpump.
    Its bone stock right now, and i most likely will keep it stock, the only thing i am going to go is up a K&N airfilter in it, maybe someday an exhaust.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  5. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

K&N filter will add very little, and ultimately cause problems with the MAF. Look to build power elsewhere.

There were some issues with 1999.5 to 2001 or so cars with window regulators, MAFs, coil packs on the VR6, but ultimately lots of those are now know and fixed. MAFs have even come down from $400 to about $70 now if the car is out of warranty.

I owned a 2.0L 4 cyl 2002 GLS M5 and we bought it new and drove it to about 270,000 kms. No issues other than a weak clutch at the beginning that went out at 90,000 kms (the 2.0L clutches were known for issues.. . the LUK ones especially). We then had a wheel bearing go about 20,000 kms later. I have a Very competent and great VW guy who saved me lots of money. They are around. I believe the clutch job (at the dealer... ) impoperly seated the driveshaft and the wheel bearing suffered (though they are known for wheel bearing issues).

Rear brakes, plan on doing them twice as much as front brakes. When we sold the car at 270,000 kms I had done the rear brakes JUST before I sold it and once before. The fronts had never been touched. Original rotors ALL around, and pads on the front.

NEVER had an issue with anything inside the car other than one bass knob on the radio falling off (we never replaced them, though the part was $2). The trim around the drivers window switches started to peel, and we had it replaced under warranty. SOME 2.0L gas engines had high oil consumption issues. Ours was one, and they re-ringed the engine.

About 10 times since we owned the car, and through that amount of KMS, we never changed a remote keyless battery, or had anything other than an intermittent hatch sensor act up. About 10 times over our life of the car, when you hit the alarm the sensor would tell the car the hatch was open. We knew this because the car didn't honk. Opening and closing the hatch would solve it.

We sold that car for $7700. Hows that for resale?

The car felt as tight when we sold it, as the the day we picked it up.

I felt so confident, I bought a 2003 diesel Jetta which I know will give me the same reliable service.

However... you MUST know a good VW dude and such with every car, know the message boards to find answers to the diamond in the ruff questions. Like some improperly wired mid bass speakers in some models, etc... I have a step-mother in law who has had nothing but non-stop problems with her 1999.5 VR6 M5. Now... I don't know why, and she hasn't really told me, but some stupid electrical stuff I thing. Nothing major, just a reappearing warning light or something.

Anyway... buy the car. You WILL love it.

6. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

I'm trying to buy it. i really want it. but the dealer is playing stupid games now. I love cars, but i hate buying them :hs:

7. dr.zed

What kind of games? There are SO many cars out there, the exact one you are looking for, games could imply there is something wrong with that particular one.

8. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

not calling me back with counter offers and stuff. i'm limited on my price and this car is perferct for me. They are just trying to get a higher price than what i want to pay.
    I carfaxed the car and it was clean with the buy back thing.

9. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

what do you mean by M5? i thought that was a BMW...lol

isn't the window regulator a recall?

10. dr.zed

M5 short for 5 speed manual transmission. Like my Camaro has an M6. A4 4 speed auto. etc....

:)

I can't answer whether the regulator was a recall.

11. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

I had mine replaced as a recall from the dealership on a 02 GLS

12. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

Well i got the car $12,500 out the door from a dealership pics coming soon.

13. dr.zed

Good on ya. You got the car you wanted.

Wicked. (I have a set of HID projector headlights for sale if you're interested. Custom HID retrofit.)

14. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

If you are going to rely on the dealer to do everything for you, a VW might not be the car for you. If you will do the simple stuff yourself, it can be a great expierence.

My 99.5 Jetta TDI Just rolled over to 201,000 miles tuesday. Everything in the powertrain is original (well except the injectors and software in the ECU :naughty: ). Window regualtors were a problem on the 2002 and earlier cars... mine has gone through 7 sets. But in 2003 they fixed the design, and they'll replace them for free. Not a problem sinse the updated metal ones were installed.

If you are buying a used car, be sure to open the hood. Look at the coolant expansion tank. Remove the eletrical connector. Dry? Good. Wet with coolant? RUN, don't walk from that car. This is coolant migration. Basically the wiring harness gets trashed from coolant soaking it. This happened on my car when it was still under warrenty (thank goodness!)

Look for oil change reccords. If you can see that a 502.00 oil has been used, that would be a good thing.

-Jason

15. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

I got the car yesterday and here are the pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Nice and good luck with that.

17. dr.zed

Nice whip. Well done.

18. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

PM me with detalis, i dont know if i can afford it right now but im interested :naughty:

19. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

I noticed in your pic that you have the power mirror control set to heat. If you leave it there, the heated mirrors will burn out. Does this car have power seats? If it does, leave it on R. When you put the car into reverse, the right mirror will tip down so you can see the back of the car better.

-Jason

20. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

no power seats, and i took the mirror thing off heat, i read it in the car manual when i was outside messing around with it.

21. dr.zed

Compu_85 good advice.

22. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

12V VR6's have a timing chain, not belt, and IIRC the 24V does as well. either way, everyone talks about timing chains breaking but you'll be hard-pressed to find many, or any, that actually have.

another thing to look for is that i believe the 24V vr6 fell under the coilpack recall - verify that and see if the one you are buying got new coils

23. yo vanilla

yo vanilla New Member

first time i've heard this. maybe its a mk4 thing, but neither my mk2 or mk3 had any abnormal rear brake wear. were they drums or discs, btw? the accelerated wear makes me think maybe there was a problem with the parking brake sticking

24. compu_85

compu_85 Woooo! 60HP!

It's because VW wanted more 'dive control' compared to the earlier cars.... the rear brakes have a stronger bias.

Then again, I had to do both the fronts and rears at the same time on my 99.5... at 120,000 miles. The inside pad on the passenger side was down to the backing.

[​IMG]

All the VR6 engines have a timing chain. Be sure to use a good, synthetic oil, and a good German oil filter. (I forget if this engine has a traditional spin on filter or a cartridge filter. If it takes a spin on, do NOT put a Fram on it.)

You may want to look into getting a vag-com. It lets you do almost everything the dealership computer can. Like make all the doors unlock with one press of the remote, have all the doors unlock when you remove the key for the ignition, not have the doors lock at 8 mph, run output tests and view data from the computers... etc. You can also use another program called VDS-PRO to do a hex edit on the memory of the central convenience computer, and you can roll the windows up and down with the lock remote. I've done it on my Jetta (among other mods) and I like it a lot :) It works the same as holding your key in the lock. Vid of it in action.

-Jason

25. Gli

Gli i can has fast duck?

WERRRRRRDDDD nice!

I have a MkV GLI (2.0T not VRT duhr)