SRS JET Program decisions...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RogerThat, Sep 30, 2008.

1. RogerThat

RogerThat New Member

Ok, so I don't post here much but I have a topic that has been twirling in my mind for awhile. Maybe some of you have some experience or even just some insight. I am a 5th year business student at university, and will be graduating in May if all goes well. I have been thinking about doing the JET program and leaving as soon as I graduate.

For those of you that don't know, the JET program is a program that you sign up for and if accepted, you go live in Japan for a year and teach conversational english to middle schools/high schools. The pay is about 33-40k a year. It's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me...international experience for when I get a job back in America, an awesome opportunity, and hell....the pay isn't bad for being 23 and right out of college.

I also have a girlfriend, so I'd have to break it to her if I went. That would suck..but I'm not married. I guess my question is...does anyone have any experience with the JET program or has anyone heard good/bad things? Also, overall, should I do it? Should I just tell my GF, pack up my shit, and go to Japan for a year and make some cash? Or stay here...find a job...etc. etc.

Thank you! I look forward to your responses.

2. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

You'll probably like this: http://www.gaijinsmash.net/archives.phtml

I've been following his blog for a while- he was part of the JET program and that's what his blog is about. It's an exceptionally fun read. The blog started out as the "I'm a Japaneses school teacher" blog on outpost nine, but he moved it here. anyway, Its 3+ years of Blog about JET, should give you some good info :big grin:

3. RogerThat

RogerThat New Member

Sweet. Reading now..thank you!

4. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

5. phrxn

phrxn New Member

I had a friend do the JET program then come back to the states and wasn't able to find a job...seemed like the current graduates at the time were more "useful," then interned then worked full time at a company. She ended up permanently teaching in Japan and has absolutely no idea what she wants to do now.

I'm not opposed to taking time off college. But spending time on an internship then negotiating a few months off to go abroad seems to make more sense. After I graduated, I went to school in HK for 3 months which was great.

But then again, you're business and its a very flexible major. Financially, wil lthat 33k-40k include room and board or do you have to pay for that out of your salary?

And then another issue...economy is down the tubes for now, taking a year may make sense.

6. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

my friend is in sendai with JET... loves it. he's not doing the teaching bit but the international relations stuff.

Living in Japan is a fucking pain in the ass... it's not all it's cracked up to be and the JET people tend to get stuck in rural/semi-rural areas in Kyushu or Hokkaido.

7. phrxn

phrxn New Member

IF you're lucky you get placed in Tokyo...REAL lucky

8. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I basically disagree with what you are doing, in a relationship you have to show long term comittment. Its true that the relationship where you are in now isn't a marriage, but i see it like this. Before you go into a relationship, you have to take your school/job/hobbies into perspective and the main life lesson is.

Don't step into a relationship if you are not willing to spend time and effort in it.

Its incredibly selfish and wrong to 'dump' someone the moment they become an inconvienance to you. A relationship goes thru better and worse times and in order for that relationship to survive ,strong commitment is necessary. Imagine you are married, will you dump your wife the moment she is an inconvienance? The moment she is handicapped, you send her off in a car going from a cliff? Its bad emotional behaviour.

You have to put yourself in her shoes, what if the gf you were with for 3 years who you love more then anything says: im going abroad, k tnx bye.

The emptyness and sadness are just too much for someone to go thru, that's why its wrong and why you shouldn't take this decision lightly.

If i where you, id take your gf with you to live in japan. If that's not possible You'll have to stay home,this because you are comitted to your gf in a relationship. Going abroad for some job/oppertunity and therefore breaking up is not a valid exuse to end a relationship. Remember that loved ones > job/school oppertunities. Anything else is extremely unhealty, this because the bad karma you cause by hurting someone will come and hit you back in the head like a boomerang 'i shit you not'. Its a price you won't be willing to pay. So my advice is 'take her with you', or don't go alltogether. You and her stay home.

9. arfanrauf

arfanrauf New Member

Life in japan - epic fail

10. RogerThat

RogerThat New Member

Seems like a few of you aren't too fond of the JET program or living in Japan itself...anyone care to elaborate? I figured it would be a good opportunity to make some cash and live abroad. Why would it be hard to get a job when I come back? I'll only be out of college for a year...

11. nitemare2112

nitemare2112 New Member

you should seriously go for it, spending time in another country is the best thing you could possibly do when your young

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I hear JET is good.

I hear NOVA sucks. I hear it stands for No Vacation.

I considered doing the English in Japan thing. I studied Japanese for a while and was decent at one point (speaking, not reading/writing. Not having spaces between words kills me)

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Also, gaijinsmash is awesome. I used to read that blog, too.