Jepp cj7?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by NisAznMonk, Dec 1, 2001.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

i want to buy a Jeep wrangler, but i dont know crap about them. what is the newest year I can buy? i figrured if i buy a 97 or higher, then i would not have that many problems? is this justified, or should i just buy a old one and fix it up? how much would they cost?

oh yeah, is there is anything i need to know about a Jeep before i buy one? any help would be appreciated.

2. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Do you plan on off-roading or do you just want one because they look cool?
    Will it be your daily driver? How much on-road vs. off-road will it see.

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

i just want one cuz they look cool. i figure its a inexpensive ride, so i would do a few mods to it. I have a 2001 toyota tacoma 4 door pre runner as my daily driver.

i've read a few posts thought that jeeps suck as far as reliability goes. got any opinions?

4. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

i dont see why the post is titled Jeep CJ-7 if you want to buy a TJ wrangler. Depends what you want to do with it

5. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

the reliablity of any car sufferes when the owners dont take care of it. If you take care of the jeep, it will serve you well.

6. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I picked CJ-7 because I thought that was the name of it. Basically I want one of those jeeps everyone else in the world has. What model would that be?

7. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

wrangler. look at the headlights. are they square or round?

8. Mikel

Mikel .

CJ7's were made up to 1986, after that they were redesigned and badged the Wrangler.

CJ7's are cool, lots of mods and damn near any motor will fit. Wrangler would be a pretty good ride, they are relaiable and have a pretty big aftermarket.

9. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

to be honest with you, i never really paid attention to the lights. are there any major differences between models?

i've always been heavily into hondas, but after seeing so many nice jeeps here in Houston tx i wanted one.

what is the biggest motor i could fit into a wrangler? and where does that motor come from? sounds interesting =)

10. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

first off lets get the names strait so we know what eachother is sayin. CJ-7s were produced from 1976-1986 and had round headlights. (if you watched dukes of hazzard, daisy had a CJ-5 at first and a CJ-7 late) YJs, or the first wranglers were produced from 1987 to 1995. There was no 1996 wrangler. From 1997 to present, the wrangers are TJ jeeps. There werent many differences from a CJ to a YJ, but the YJ had a different engine later in production (4.2 then to a 4.0), and the dash is different. Besides that they are very similar. So similar that many people put YJ bodies onto CJ frames with little modifications. The TJ and YJ are nearly totally different jeeps. The suspension went from front and rear leafs to coil springs. The body is shaped the same on the outside but inside its different, very more car like. They still retained the 4.0 from the YJ. As for motor possiblities, the most common larger-than-stock swap is to a chevy 350. People commonly put 360s in, and ive seen jeeps with 454s, and one with a ram jet 502! They are such basic vehicles than you can put pretty much anything in them. It all depends on what you want it to be. If you just want a jeep to drive around and give you the look you want, the most car like TJ is probably your best option. If you plan to offroad, The YJ and CJs are probably a better choice, because aftermarket suspensions are cheaper. Don't get me wrong, TJs are the best out of the box offroading jeep out there, but the coils introduce a whole new group of parts with a suspension lift. Any other questions just ask me.. this is my life

11. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

oh and YJ wranglers had square headlights, and TJ wranglers have round headlights. Both style wranglers have grilles that tilt back, as opposed to the strait up CJ-7 style

12. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

The Jeeps you normally see are probably TJ's.
    As for what engine you want to put in it, the stock 4.0 is very reliable and has plenty of power however if you do want to swap it out the options are only limited by your imagination. There is even a TJ with a Viper V10 in it.

13. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

on these engine swaps, do they have bolt in kits for them? i know when i had my civic, there were bolt in kits for other engines.

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

i found this great link. if anyone who knows alot about jeeps could check this out, i'd appreciate it. i just wanna see if its accurate.

http://www.visi.com/~tam/tjfaq.html#sec1

oh yeah, anyone have pics of thier jeeps? just wanna see what eveyrone has
    :)

15. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

pretty acurate page.... But YJ stands for yuppie jeep and TJ is Trendy Jeep :fawk:

mine: