jeff's bjj log

Discussion in 'MMA Training Logs' started by jeffreyliu838, Oct 18, 2009.

1. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

http://stopchokingme.blogspot.com/2009/10/ive-been-doing-bjj-for-almost-3-months.html

If any of you use that site, you can subscribe. Otherwise, I'll be copy and pasting from the blog to here.

I've been doing bjj for almost 3 months, and today was a good day.

We did a bunch of triangle and armbar counters to guard passes. We also did a "self defense" move where you break the wrist of a guy trying to choke you. I think learning that stuff is lame since you can't use it when you roll.

I managed to get a crazy sweep when going live today. I dunno what it's called, but it's similar to the tomoe nage throw, and it's when you have guard, the guy stands up, you plant your feet on his hips, you throw him over your head, and land in mount. Pretty much made my day (or year). If you know the name of that sweep feel free to tell me.

I also got a pendulum sweep from a failed armbar, but that's not as cool.

We have promotion every six months, and the next date is November seventh. Hopefully I'll get a stripe.

2. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

3. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Lols. It was kinda sloppy though. Not as pendulummy as it should've been, cause he wasn't really driving really hard into me.

Yesterday , Monday, we did triangle and armbar counters again, but this time, I was paired with the new girl. I don't really mind drilling with girls or anything, but she was so timid and stuff, so I didn't feel right doing my thing. Got my ass whooped live. Got choked from half guard. Note to self: being mounted is better than being choked. I did manage to pass someone's guard though, so it's not a total loss.

Today was a no gi class. We reviewed sprawling and learned another way to sprawl. Then we worked guillotine counters to double legs (I don't think these would work unless their double legs are really slow) and guillotine defense. We finished off with one guy shooting, other guy trying to guillotine, and original guy doing the defense. I had like. Half a roll today. My mommy picked me up, lols.

I guess I should let you guys know more about me. I'm 16, and I don't have a car. Nor am I insured. My mom gives me rides. I train Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. Tuesdays we alternate between an amatuer muay thai guy (it's more of a crash course than a class) and no gi. I think gi is more fun.

Saturday is easier cause usually on the other days there's an advanced class after so a lot of the advanced class guys go to both classes, which explains how I got the cool sweeps I described in my first post. It's okay though. A sweep is a sweep :)

4. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Got that sweep again. Well. Kinda. I got greedy and tried a helicopter armbar which is something I really I had no business doing. Still happy though. Again, we reviewed triangles and armbars. Passed guard 2/2 times, but one guy was smaller, and the other guy had less classes than me, so I don't feel too good about that. Got my ass whooped by a big black guy who weighs 210 (I asked). Can opener'd me -_- It's alright though cause he didn't know.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. kopetzki

kopetzki Banned

you'd be surprised. That's one of my coaches signature moves and he gets it on other black belts all the time. Especially in no-gi

6. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I think I'd rather sprawl and do something from there though. I just don't have the reflexes for the guillotine+guard thing.

Learned a lot today from rolling with one of the better guys. I feel kinda bad cause he has a more legit gi with a Caique Jiu Jitsu path on the back, but I accidentally ripped it :( Taught me a north south choke, which is a position I really know absolutely nothing about. We drilled some escapes from there too. I tapped like 5 times in 5 minutes, but it's all good. Learned a crapload. Surprisingly, I managed to get him airborne with that tomoe nage sweep, but I didn't have a good bite on his sleeves, so we just came up to our knees. Either that or I was side mounted. I was too excited so I don't really remember. The class itself was kinda boring. Side mount escapes. I hope we do sweeps soon.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  7. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I went saturday but I don't feel like writing about the class. One thing to note though is that during sparring, the guy attacked the kimura from side mount, and I couldn't reach my belt so I grabbed my pants. But he didn't let go and I felt my pants ripping, so I had to let him take it :(

Did mounting, triangles from guard, and shoulder locks from side mount today. Coach paired me up with Jamie again. I dunno why he thinks I'd make a better partner for her. It was weird cause he pulled me out after I started drilling with another guy. Anyways, after class, we did live drills, which is like mini sparring. We start in a position (today it was side mount) and the guy on top tries to submit or mount, and the guy on bottom tries to escape. Whoever wins takes the bottom and tries to escape from the next guy in line.

The first time was tricky cause I swear I had a shoulder lock (one with the feet from a scarf hold. I dunno the name of it) but he wasn't tapping, so I gave it up and tried to mount, but he pulled me into half guard. I did a legit half guard escape, which makes me happy, and then I tried a kimura, failed, and mounted.

The second guy was that big black 200+ pound guy, and I was on the bottom of him. He tried some weird shit which is gay cause anything would work for him since he's a tank. He tried to pick up my legs or something, and I was gonna try to triangle (the way he was grabbing my leg, it seemed pretty easy), but then he tied to mount, so I pulled half guard. I almost got full guard, but he pulled me back into side mount and then went for the full mount, but I bumped and got up to my knees. Almost side mounted him too. Made me feel like a beast being able to get a side mount escape on him cause he's freaking huge.

I was actually expecting some sort of compliment from coach, but I got nothing :( It's alright though. I hit 30 classes which is a stripe prerequisite so things are looking good for promotion. Hopefully I'm good enough.

8. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I'm gonna stop uploading on the blogspot since I just realized no one reads it.

Tuesday was a no gi day. Did a takedown to armbar, and a spinny side mount escape. Didn't do so hot sparring, but didn't really do badly either. It was my first time really sparring no gi, so passing guard was weird, and I went for putting my thumb in the collar to stack... but there was no collar so I got put in a triangle. I defended it but ended up getting armbarred. Second roll was a little better but I think he was going easy...

Wednesday... I remember what we learned but I don't remember how the rolls went... Sorry guys.

Today was pretty cool since it was a small class. We learned some advanced stuff, so it's stuff that I really can't imagining myself being able to pull off... Shit is slick though. An awesome half guard mount sweep, reversal when you're getting americana'ed, and some other stuff. The half guard sweep is kinda like a flower sweep, but I dunno what it's called. Got owned going live. Ended up getting mounted like a little bitch. First roll, I got stuck in north south and I know nothing from there. I just tried spinning out cause I've learned that from being side mounted, but I would end up with my hands in a bad spot, so it didn't work out too well. Coach showed me a north south escape that looked epic, but I don't think I can do that. Second time, I got mounted really really high, so I had a hell of a time elbow escaping/bridging. Ended up getting s mounted, so I baited with an armbar and I ended up trying to stack him inside his guard but he pulled a really fucking slick pendulum sweep, and I just got mounted again... :(

At least I didn't tap?

I don't think I'm getting promoted :(

9. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Class was okay today. Kinda small. Learned another "self defense" takedown and then a bunch of side mount escapes. We rolled, but it was very unsatisfying. I rolled with an inexperienced girl. I think it was her first time rolling. I can honestly say that I didn't use strength to win, so I'll describe the roll to you guys. We started with her side mounted, but she didn't really have my hips blocked so I managed to get half guard. Then I shrimped out for closed guard and did a situp sweep. I told her that I was gonna go for a choke (Already had fingers in the collar on one hand) and that she should try to block the other, but I guess she didn't know the choke so she didn't know what to do, so I locked in the choke, she bumped like a mule, and I rolled into guard and finished. it.

Felt good being the more experienced person for once :)

10. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Monday was a cool class. Got caught in that north south choke I learned. The thing is, I didn't even know I was getting choked. He moved to north south, and I'm just like, "fuck," and then he jumps back to side mount. Then I realized I couldn't breathe.

Today was a no gi day. Guillotine counter, and then the counter to that, and then the counter to that. I don't like no gi sparring but today was pretty cool even though I got my ass whooped. First roll, I got rnc'ed. I kept going for the "Master blaster" hold that I saw on youtube. Unsurprisingly, it's really freaking hard to get. It's basically a hold when you have guard that let's you have an epic triangle setup. I got it on the second roll, but I'm a giant nub so I forgot to push the arm to the side and he defended it. I think I might've been able to get him to tap from cranking his neck since it was a tight tight tight triangle (with exception to the arm being around my thigh...) , but I think that would've been douchey since I hate it when people do that to me. I ended up almost getting ezekiel'd but I planted my foot on his hips. Then the timer sounded.

Can't wait for class tomorrow. Bjj is getting to be really fun.

11. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Man rolling today was great. I rolled against a guy younger than me so I tried to use less strength. Big mistake. He was pretty good. The highlight of the day: we started in sidemount since we were drilling escapes that day. He goes to mount, and I put him in the half guard. And then, BAM. I get a hook in under one leg, lift his other leg with that arm, and I sweep him. He and I were like WTF. That's something I honestly never thought would work. I know I'm gonna sound childish, but I wish the coach paid more attention to me. I feel like I'm pulling off some really badass stuff, but he never watches. I wanna get promoted, too :(

EDIT: I'm never smoking/drinking again. This class I almost couldn't breathe during the warmup. I'm not sure if it was the 6 pack the night before or the ciggies before class, but whatever.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  12. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Fuck my couch. I missed class today. I had to help a buddy move a pool table :/ Tomorrow is promotion day. I swear, I missed some super important detail, and I'm not gonna get shit tomorrow :/

13. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Promotions were today. Caique, a red/black 7th degree'er came down and gave out stripes/belts. I got my stripe, but I don't feel too good about. He handed out stripes like candy. Some guys that I tap all the time got a stripe along with me, which is kinda lame IMO. I think either I deserve two or they deserve none. Not to say that I'm not happy that they got stripes, cause I am, but I just think stripes should represent your level.

He went over a bunch of basics, which is good cause I honestly think I suck at all of them. Surprisingly we rolled a little. I was a total baller with my first partner. Flower sweeps, sit up sweeps, scissor sweeps, etc. Didn't really go for subs. Second partner I only did okay.

I was hoping we'd all get to roll with the master or something so he can point out what we're doing wrong, but I guess he'd get too tired.

Cliffs: I'm a one stripe white belt now.

14. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

stripes are nothing to think about mang. theyre just something to keep you busy until you earn your blue.

youre worrying about tapping and getting tapped too much.
    just go out there, take risks, get yourself into new positions and learn.

and :rofl: at you beating up a girl.

15. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Shut up. She was strong :(

16. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Haven't updated in a while. Nothing really eventful. We learn stuff, we do it, and then we roll. Recently this new guy came, and he's fucking good. He said he learned some bjj from his church buddies who are blue belts I rolled with him last week and he's doing all this weird shit, but it all works. Got me in a knee on belly collar choke and I almost passed out cause I didn't realize that I couldn't breathe. Granted, I was under the weather today, but he traingled me twice and got me in an armbar. He's been coming for about a week, and he's 14. He's pretty cool, too. I am a little bummed that he owns me so much, but whatever.

17. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I just realized that we learn all this shit to do from guard, but I rarely ever find myself in it. I'm sure it's just my problem cause I find myself trying to pass guard all the time, but it feels like I'm missing out cause having guard is so damned fun for me. When I'm mounted, I usually go straight for an s mount so I rarely get upa'ed, and from half guard, I like to go for sweeps (but I usually fail and get side mounted).

18. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Then pull guard when you start. and if you cant pull full guard, then pull half guard and work back to full.

pinch your knees to hold their leg in your half guard as you sweep. if you get loose then theyll just slide their knee thru to pass or youll end up in a restarted neutral position where you might have to scramble.

19. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

I had a freaking blast rolling today. I youtubed a bunch of half guard stuff and learned some lockdown stuff. I felt a little stupid since I was basically giving up full guard so I could practice from half guard, but that lockdown stuff really works.

20. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

nothing wrong with being in half guard man. sometimes i feel alot more dominant there than being in full guard. especially if im going against a wrestler, wrestlers tend to be able to smash and control my full guard. yet, if i pull half on them its much easier for me to hip out, take an overhook, or get under them for a sweep.

try not to get too attached to that lockdown, against better guys theyll start tucking their foot up under your butt so that you cant get lockdown.
    work on taking the underhook away from them (but dont get darce'd) and getting under them to break their base. those two principles will open up alot for you in your halfguard game.

21. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

You can get darce'd from inside halfguard? :eek3: That's something I totally would get submitted by. I find myself going lolwut a lot and then getting caught in a sub that I had no idea existed.

Anyways. My neck hurts like a bitch today. Does this happen to anyone else? Around once every two weeks, I'll come home with a retarded neck and it'll stay that way for a day or two.

22. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

yeah, youll be on bottom getting too deep with your underhook, they darce you and knee drive across to transition into side. it sucks.

yeah, your neck, your jaw, your back and other things will be sore. with more mat time your body will get used to it and you wont notice it after a week or so. Or youre chechen, and will complain about it forever. :hs:

23. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

Damn, last night was my birthday, and I went to a party. I had like 8 shots, but they were like pussy shots so it was probably around like 6 legit shots, but I drank it all in like an hour. I woke this morning without a hangover but with a cuts on my stomach. Like, the sexy kinds. Fucking weird right?

24. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

alcohol = diuretic

derrr

25. jeffreyliu838

jeffreyliu838 New Member

But calorie wise it's almost as bad as drinking pure fat, no? You're giving me ideas, lol.