MMA Jeet Kune Do or Ju Jutsu

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Nightmist, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Nightmist

Nightmist Power Metal Crew >* \m/ \m/

My school offers both of these as a club and I was interested in joining one for the purpose of fitness and self defense. Which do you think would be better for me? The ju jutsu instructor is a seventh degree black belt in seiei-kan ju jutsu. The jeet kune do club is a mixture of that and filipino martial arts according to the website. Any insight would be appreciated.

2. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Hm... that is japanese ju jutsu... from my experience jjj clubs tend to not roll that much if at all. Try em both, see which one actually practices with 100% resistance. If either of them has the "punch me in the face... ok now im going to step out of the way, grab your wrist and..." then you know you are wasting your time.

3. Guld

Guld 昇龍拳

So very true.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I'm wary of anyone who says they have a 7th degree blackbelt in anything.

if the JKD is Straight Blast Gym affiliated it's probably good.

5. floppycheif

floppycheif dirty boxing

Also check to see if the JKD class has any no-gi submission wrestling(which it should). There is a JKD class where I take kickboxing, and its always fun to drop in when they are rolling, but im not a huge fan of trapping/wing chun style punching.

6. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

Sorry for the OT question, but whats GI and non GI mean?

7. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

Gis are the traditional martial arts suits.
    Jacket, pants, belt, and you've got a Gi.

No gi means fighting shirtless and in shorts.

8. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

[​IMG]

[SIZE=-1] You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face when I’m wearing these bad boys ? [/SIZE]

9. AJC13B

AJC13B Whats a nubian?

:bigthumb:

10. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

The Filipino schools can go any way. I used to practice a a church with my instructor and we used to use 100% resistance. It was Kali so we used sticks, but if we struck we would pull back and try to strike again. If you could disarm somebody, you know it would really work because we would always chamber our weapons. We also sparred with full contact.

But I have been to some schools that claim to teach Kali, or so called "Escrima" that teach it just like a karate class. Sucks.

11. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

JKD is a better option over jiu-jitsu. It'll have grappling in it along with everything else.

12. Nucleartiger

Nucleartiger Clemson makes my nipples hard

I am kind of confused by what you are trying to say here. Could you explain it for me?

13. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

there are two schools of training, alive and dead.

In dead training you only practice in pre-determined patterns, where there is no variation. You practice the same defense technique against the same telegraphed punch over and over. This training style doesn't allow you to develop actual fighting skills such at timing, precontact cues, and the allmighty adrenaline dump. This means that the skills you develop with dead training, although they are useful in theory, will have little to no application in an actual self defense or even open rules sparring situation.

If the instructor has a lot of "if your opponent does this then you do this" technique then most likely it's dead training.

If the instructor says "This technique would work in this situation maybe, but you have to remember that situation always dictates. Here are other ways it might happen, here are other techniques that could work here, this is a good strategy to use, here's a technique that can work if the first one fails, and if all else goes wrong clear the scene and run" then most likely it's an alive school.

14. Nightmist

Nightmist Power Metal Crew >* \m/ \m/

I think I'll give the jeet kune do a try. I would prefer to do some BJJ but I dont know of any places around columbus or cleveland that offer it but I havent looked that hard either.