Jeep

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SouSy, Nov 23, 2002.

1. SouSy

SouSy Active Member

Ok here's the deal. I have two 12's (I think their Rockford Fostgate they say punch on the front) and want to put them in my 92 wrangler. I know I need to build a down firing box but don't know how. I also don't know what size amp I need. My friend had two 10's in his car with a 650w amp and it sounded alright, so I was thinking 800w for 12's. I don't want you to be able to hear me two miles away I just want to hear my radio on the interstate.

2. 04

04 Guest

800w is a lot of power.... Your friend's "650w amp" might not have been quite honest with its power ratings.

My question is, where are you going to fit the box?

You don't necessarily have to make it downfiring.

I would also reccomend getting some aftermarket speakers for your sounbar (if you have one) if you want to cruise down the interstate with the top off. And hook up an nice sized amplifier. My friend has a 1999 wranger and the music is barely audible with the top off at 75mph.

3. SouSy

SouSy Active Member

Re: Re: Jeep

4. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: Jeep

How much do you want to spend on the amplifier? The punch speakers are only rated at handling 100w each I believe.

As for the box, you could make it downfiring, and I can see how that would be a good idea, because it would keep the woofers out of harms way.

But you probably wont get too much of a performance increase by downfiring over pointing them up.

5. SouSy

SouSy Active Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jeep

They can take 200w Max. So i was thinking a 400/450w amp.

6. 04

04 Guest

How about something like this: http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/us_acoustics.html

USX600D

puts out like 400watts into 2ohms and around 200 into 4ohms, which would be perfect for your subwoofers.

7. J812MANY

J812MANY Guest

Q-Logic makes a sealed single 12" box (1cuft IIRC) that fits PERFECTLY between the rear seat and the tailgate on a Wrangler. The tailgate holds the box tight against the seat and the top of the box is below the top of the gate (pretty stealth), there might be enough room for 2 of them, but its tight. You'll have to mount the amp under the rear seat.

The box worked great with a Punch HE2.

JK

8. jeeps4u

jeeps4u OT's Master Tech

I made a downfiring box, and im running another different downfirign one, IM me @ cams1021 for pics

9. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

PM me, I have a box that I bought for my jeep, it holds 2 10"s, but you might be able to cut it out.

I still have it from when my jeep go totaled, and I'd be willing to sell it for cheap.

If your interested I'll get some measurements and see if 12's would indeed fit. It was used less than ~15 hours total before some fag pulled out infront of me :(