Jeep ownz the competition for yet another year.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Jan 16, 2002.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

The Grand Cherokee beat out the competition in both Four Wheeler magazine and Petersen's Four Wheel & Off-Road.

Way to go Jeep. :bigthumb:

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

thats why i quit subsrcbing to that mag jeep always wins unless chevy buys more adverizing that year

3. Guest

Guest Guest

So fawking true...rolling over and over in my liberty...GO JEEP!

4. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

And what do you think is better than the new GC with the 4.7HO? It's faster than a majority of the competition yet is still very capable off-road. I think Jeep has put on and off-road together better than any other manufacturer yet. Who else has a vehicle that rides well on the road that isn't crappy IFS?

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im not saying its nto a good vehicel and it shouldnt ahve won but those mags are so biased that its not even funny

6. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

So what is your point then? The mag is biased and......

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i ahve no point i was just saying i quit buying the mag casue all fo its test were usaly bullshit im not dissing jeep or anything

8. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

I don't buy that mag for it's stock vehicle reviews. I like when they do build-ups and other tech stuff.

9. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

I was never impressed with 4wheeler at all personally..

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yeah me too but it seemd like it was always the same thing to me i guess after 6years you kinda get burn out of it what was your fave truck in there ien was eihte quagmire or that yellow suburban wiht the crazy lift it was as high as it was tall or elses that chevy truck the yellow one in the energy suspensions adds

11. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Bias?

Heaven forbid a company that specializes in four wheeling consistently design products that just so happen to excel at it.

That is what Jeep is, and Land Rover.

Considering Land Rover's heritage the Freelander sure is disappointing. I'd say Toyota currently offers more real four wheelers than Land Rover does, except for the Highlander and awful Sequoia...

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im not sayign that the jeep should not have won i ahvent read the article yet but almost all car mags will tend to favor the compny that pays the most advertisng

and i never realy read them for the stcok truck shoot outs any way it was alwasy teh tech and custom trucks and the worst stuck articles

13. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

While big Suburbans might be pretty to look at, they are pretty much useless besides for show trucks. Something like that would never fit on the trails I frequent. Heck if my trails were wider I would be driving a Unimog right now.

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

yeah i admit it might not have been the most usefull thruck they were using it in the duenes but ti was street legal and had an awsome sytem in teh back like 28 subs so yeah it was mostly a show truck but still taller tahn it was long

15. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Have you seen the concept pics for the new Bronco? It's like a 2 door Expedition w/ a Excursion front end. Looks pretty sweet, and quite capable.

16. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

no iah vent seen its bout time they went back to teh old 2dr suvs

17. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

How big is it though?

18. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

Well after searching for an hour I can't find the pics. It's big. Just take an Expedition, give it the lines of an Excursion and knock 2 doors out. Or it could also be considered a short 2 door Excursion I guess.

Update:
    I did find this, however. It's called the Ford Triton or something like that.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2002
  19. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

So then it really has nothing at all in common with the Bronco besides two doors.

20. SycoPhant

SycoPhant Get out my way

It has as much in common as the Expedition does, being it's replacement, or the Explorer to the Bronco II.

21. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

What I want is for them to bring back the Early Bronco. Keep the suspension the same because front coils and rear leafs is a good combo and then just update everything else.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

you know... both mags only take vehicles that are new or have substancial changes made to it. notice that in the past 2-3 years, jeep always won?

they are always entered. you can take it 2 ways:

1. they keep improving on good things.
    2. they keep fixing things that a bad...

now, the 2003 wrangler rubicon edition is going to be the killer 4wd for next year.

unless other manufacturers stop making trucks as glorified station wagons (look at BMWs and LEXUS's attempt...), the entire SUV and truck segment will be neuterized until they look like cars.

i say good job jeep, for bringing out what people want in a true 4wd.

(and this is from a loyal toyota owner for over 12 years now...)

23. LowkeyG

LowkeyG OT Supporter

say what you will about jeep, but i have been in almost any SUV currently available, and i know that if i had to go off roading for something serious, (not just for fun :)) that i would pick a jeep, from a company that has been doing off road for 50+ years

i have actually been off roading in a hummer, and a grand cherokee on the same day on the same trial
    the hummer only made it 3/4 of the way through cause it was too damn cumbersome, while the jeep went through 3-4 times!