Jeep JK

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by aaholland, Feb 18, 2007.

1. aaholland

aaholland New Member

What does everyone think of the new jeep wrangler JK? I want one. Sold my tj already so i can get one later this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's crap.

The only good thing is it has a solid front axel.

Other than that, it's too low to the ground in stock form, the wheelbase is waaay too long, it's fucking hideous, and it's the most uncomfortable vehicle on the road.

3. aaholland

aaholland New Member

Too low to the ground in stock form??? It comes with 32" tires from the factory. You can run 33" tires with no lift. You can run 35" tires with a 2.5-3" lift. You can run 37" tires with a short arm 4" lift. What other jeep can do this?

What do you mean by uncomfortable? Are you talking looks or have you test drove it?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Someone at work has one (yes, the new 4-door one). I can take pictures, if neccessary. It's is horribly uncomfortable in terms of a vehicle for street use. It lacks basic creature comforts, and dear God those seats are bad. And arn't jeep tops infamous for being ineffective? Personally, I would never own a jeep like this. I think a GC is the only Jeep I could daily drive. As an offroader, however, these compromises are acceptable in older models. But the new models are crap when it comes to offroad ability stock... They take as much modification as another manufacturer's vehicle -- so you might as well get something from another manufacturer that is more comfortable, better looking, has more features, has more power, is more reliable, and has better resale value!

I don't care what tire size you run. And no other offroader will care what tire size you run, either. The bottom line is this thing has LESS ground clearance than my GMC Jimmy! And the GMC has been critisized for have a low-hanging frame. I mean these new jeeps are LOW to the ground. The new Jeep also has a LONG wheelbase. Much longer than my GMC's wheelbase. So the long wheelbase coupled with a low frame means you have a shitty break-over angle. These jeeps are going to get stuck in places that old jeeps have no problems in.

Save for the solid axle, they took everything that made a Jeep great, and threw it right out the window!

5. aaholland

aaholland New Member

You should not even be talking about this jeep :) only people that have driven and like shorter jeeps before should respond. I personally love the soft top and don’t mind the extra noise. What other creature comforts are you talking about?

Not that I have heard. My TJ top worked great never leaked any water. The first JK's that came out leaked a bit but DC has since fixed that. Same kind of problems every new model has.

I own a GC and it is great for what kind of jeep it is. I disagree about the new models. They are actually better off-road capable stock. Comes with 4 wheel disk breaks, 4.1 gear ratio, Increased ground clearance, larger wheels and tires, enhanced Dana 44 front and rear solid axles, Rock-Trac™ transfer cases, new electric axle lockers, and electronic-disconnecting front sway bar. All with the stock Rubicon model. As for resale value I just sold my 2000 TJ for $9,000 and I bought it two years before for $9,000 never added anything to it, I actually got a trailer, an extra set of super swamper tires, and a hardtop when I bought it that I did not sell with it.

Tire size matters a bit since it raises the frame farther off the ground.

As for ground clearance it has actually increased this year [​IMG] from old wranglers. The ground clearance for your jimmy is 7.5984 inches and 10.1 inches for the jeep Rubicon jk.
    Breakover angle is 20.8
    Departure angle is 40.5

[​IMG]

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

care to explain why my stock Jimmy has better ground-frame clearance and a shorter wheelbase, then? That equates to a BETTER breakover angle. :mamoru:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well I'm talking about the 4-doors.

8. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

probably because its frame is farther from the ground and the front and rear wheels are closer together :fawk:

and the stock jommy doesnt have better clearance ... trust me ... i wheeled with one last week and it was getting highcentered on things my jeep was gliding over .... true, my jeep is TJ, but the TJ and JK (2-door, unless you are too fucking stupid to figure that out) have VERY close clearance numbers

and its a jeep ... they arent built for on road manners .... if you want a good ride, buy a pavement pounder or a cadillac ... the jeep has higher spring rate springs and shockes that are valved stiffer than your jimmy ... and OH MY GOD, what does this mean? ... rough ride on-road, less body sway and better stability offroad

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Exactly. If you want a 4-door, buy something else... Not a jeep. If I'm buying new, I'd probably do an Xterra.

2-door sure... This thread is about 4-doors.

But the 4-door is worthless offroad... So if it can't offroad, and it has shitty on-road manners, what's the point?

10. aaholland

aaholland New Member

4 door
    ground clearance 10.1 inches
    approach angle: 44.4 degrees
    departure angle 40.5 degrees
    breakover angle 20.8 degrees

normal rubicon
    ground clearance 10.2 inches
    approach angle: 41.8 degrees
    departure angle 40.4 degrees
    breakover angle 25.3 degrees

Nissan Xterra
    ground clearance: 9.5 inches
    approach angle: 33.2 degrees
    departure angle: 29.4 degrees
    breakover angle: 24.6 degrees

Toyota 4Runner
    ground clearance: 9.1 inches
    approach angle: 31 degrees
    departure angle: 24 degrees
    breakover angle: not available

Land Rover LR3
    ground clearance: 9.5 inches
    approach angle: 37.2 degrees
    departure angle: 29.6 degrees
    breakover angle: 27.9 degrees

as you see Xtarra only beat the jeep jk 4 door with breakover angle.

Convertible, solid axles, locking differentials, 4:1 transfer case gears, a flexible suspension and an electronically controlled anti-sway bar, enhanced heavy-duty Dana 44 front and rear axles. Amazingly, this new four-door Wrangler also has more interior cargo space (86.75 cu. ft.) than the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 2006 Hummer H3, and 2006 Nissan Xterra

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think it's rubbish.

12. aaholland

aaholland New Member

:wavey:

13. affende

lol ... pwnt

and the 4door has SOOOOOOO much potential off road .... the wheelbase is perfect. the biggest complaint of wrangler owners is the short wheelbase .... hill climbs are tricky at best and can get quite squirley .... (ever notice that almost all competition vehicles have a wheelbase in the 105-115 range? obviously excluding the moonbuggies)

the 116" wheelbase is fawking perfect. throw on a lift (or do what i do and cut off any metal that gets in the way of bigger tires) and some better tires and jesus-titty-fucking-christ you have an awesome ofroad vehicle.

so stop talking.

14. affende

yeah ... about that ... its like every other rubicon ... D44 center chunk with D30 outers .... and Rubi owners wonder why they blow shafts and ujoints all the damn time :bowrofl:

15. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

I'll stick to my XJ

but thats mainly because I can't get myself to wheel in a brand new truck that I haven't paid off yet. Its more fun when you dont care about rock rash.

16. aaholland

aaholland New Member

Yeah it will be hard... :)

17. WNEC Law 2008

WNEC Law 2008 New Member

When I finish law school I'll be in he market for a new Jeep, what does this one run?

18. aaholland

aaholland New Member

Base Price For Rubicon MSRP: $28,465

19. aaholland

aaholland New Member

MSRP $29,500.00
    Invoice $26,963.00

Most people are geting theirs for 500 over invoice when they order the rubicon. It is currently taking 3-4 months to get it.

20. affende

they are nice ... i hated them when they forst came out ... then i drove a friends offroad :o

21. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I like the way they look, I have always wanted a jeep and would drive one as a DD

22. jay59

jay59 New Member

I like them. I may even sell my tow rig and my built CJ for the more family oriented 4 Dr. Slap on some 37s and some bumpers and it would rock most trails

23. aaholland

aaholland New Member

Here is what I going to do on mine.

[Lift] - 4" Full Traction
    [Gears] - 5.13
    [Axle Shafts] - Alloy Shafts
    [Tires] - Irok R (37x12.50R17LT)
    [Rims] - Cragar Soft 8 17x8, 4.5" BS
    [Drive Shafts] - JE Reel 1350 Heavy Duty Drive Shafts
    [Front Bumper] - Shrockworks stuby
    [Rear Bumper] - LOD w/jerry cans w/trail rack
    [Rails] - Shrockworks
    [Diff Covers] - SOLID
    [Floor Liners] - Husky
    [Winch] - Ramsey 9500
    [OBA] - ARB Portable Air

24. aaholland

aaholland New Member

I found this pic on another forum. I am scared my wife wont be able to get in [​IMG] Those are 35's she is 5,7. I am planing on geting 37' IROK's and my wife is 5,8 [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Cheeks

Cheeks New Member

things are pretty damn sick.