Jeep Guys : Question on Engines

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by KeeperOfAcheron, Jul 29, 2004.

1. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Hey all. First off, I do not own this jeep, its my roommates. He is looking to do a swap into his jeep soon. It currently is a 92 Jeep wrangler with a 4 cylinder and a 5speed? transmission. He is looking for a 350 to put in and is curious what people think and were are some good spots to try and locate one. Any other pointers or advice is welcome.

Thanks!

2. explosivo

explosivo Guest

Junkyard?

3. dehalorespire

dehalorespire Sometimes good guys don't wear white.

Salvage yard is a good idea if you want cheap. Depending on what he wants to spend, I would go rebuilt: http://www.atk-engines.com/ or crate.

Crate would be the way to go if money isnt much of an factor. THe 350 will not just drop right in. He gonna need conversion parts or fabrication skills to mate it with the rest of the Jeep drivetrain.

4. explosivo

explosivo Guest

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Plan on dropping in a new drive line with that swap too... I don't think the AX-15/NP231 would hold up too long. Take the stregth of the axles into consideration too...

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

id go with a modern 350 my 4.3 sucks hind tit (for those of you in the pork industry) id take a fool injsected threefidy any day

7. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

When I had my '98 Wrangler with the straight six I got 11 mpg on a good day. But that was with 33" X-terrains. :dunno:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  8. Kat

Kat Guest

i'd either sell, and buy a I6 or go with the 4.3 with a 700r4 - you can find one in a junk yard out of an s10 or blazer....it will with an adaptor (which is kind of expensive) work with a dana 300 - which are cheap and VERY easy to find. of course like someone stated above its gonna take a lot of fab work to get that to work, new motor mounts...etc...etc...

if you're roomate is running anything bigger than stock and wants more power he needs to look at the ratios in his axles/transmission/transfer case...rather than just an engine swap.

IMHO V8s are sooo overrated and HEAVY (the I6 is heavy too) but thats a whole different story - but i'm just a girl....what do i know!?!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2004