Jeep Crew

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by spoon-ex, Nov 15, 2007.

1. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

after 2 years or so with the jeep im ready to change some stuff around

right now its pretty stock.....mods im thinking about are performance/cosmetic

right now im rolling on stock wheels with some nokian tire that came on it when i got it......i don't like how the jeep nose downs so my thoughts are

1.5" coil spring spacer for the front, with new shocks all the way around
    245/75/16 tires (not sure what tire but some kinda mud tire)
    black rock crawler wheels to replace the messed up stockers

that should get me sitting level and the MT will be nice when i do hit some offroad excurisons....not looking to lift too much or go with much bigger then stock tire as the jeep is my DD

head lights are crap so im thinking of just ordering a new set through rockauto for like 120 dollars.

its got a limited slip now and 3.55's so i don't think im gonna get into messing with gears or a locker

prolly toss a K&N in when its time for a new airfilter

thoughts? any thing else i should add? tire recommendations?

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

what type of Jeep?

3. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

doh.......can't believe i forgot that fact......its a 99 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 and select trac 4x4 system

4. IslanderOffRoad

4.0 :bigthumb:

I'd go with 2" lift springs instead of coil spacers, thats a tall spacer and really its gonna be the same amount of work either way.

BFG Mud Terrains are probably the most widely recommended mud tires, if you mainly do street driving look at an all terrain though, the MTs have a much shorter life (any brand) and are alot noisier.

I'd gear it to 4.10's but thats just me. See how it feels with the new tires.

5. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

thanks for the input.....i love the jeep.....78k miles and its been pretty much trouble free

where could i get 2" coil springs just for the front? i don't wanna lift the back just level it out cuz i hate how nose down it is

also tire life is not that important to me....its a DD but i drive 10 miles a day and noise is not a concern either

won't 4.10's with 245 tires be a bit much? thats like a 30 inch tire and i run 4.10's in my chevy with 33's and sometimes that feels like its a bit much.....

thinking of some cragar soft 8's........the jeep wheels are 5x4.5 with how much back spacing?

thanks for the help...im a noob at modding my jeep...prolly why its taken me 2 years to even start doing anything to it

6. IslanderOffRoad

I run 4.10's with 31's in my XJ and love it. I've got a 5spd also so mine came with 3.07's.

Most manufacturers will sell just the coils. I'd check out Rubicon Express. I'm not sure what the stock backspacing is, but when I went and bought my black steelies, I told the guy what it was going on and he knew what it needed to not rub.

7. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

thanks.....yea i think if i had 3.07's id prolly upgrade to something better but with the 3.55's i think i will be ok

any thoughts on getting a little more power out of the jeep? i was thinking a K&N and getting the banks header and cat back....i know the 4.0 stock manifold is prone to cracking and more when the vehicle is offroad......ive been lucky so far and its not come apart but id rather replace it b4 it gets to that if the gain is decent

i think im gonna go with a set of the soft 8's in 16x7 and find out what backspacing i need .....for some reason 4" sounds right but i dunno and get a set of dayton timberline MT tires

8. IslanderOffRoad

eh, having blown money on bolt ons numerous times over my life i just don't think they're worth it anymore. If you really want power, build a stroker. K&N really doesn't do much, and its overpriced. Cat-back would be more sound than anything, and the banks stuff is pricey. I haven't cracked mine, and I have a spare stock manifold from a 99 XJ... yours should be the same, the newer ones are built with an expansion joint to resist the cracking, don't worry until it happens.

9. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

thanks for the advice......jeep stuff is new to me....usually im dealing with cars and first thing i do is drop a K&N in, toss on an exhaust system and do wheels and tires and some suspension mods......

i guess the manifold fear comes from so many of my friends have 4.0 TJ's and almost everyone of them has been through the stock manifold pretty fast and most of them opted for the banks when getting a new one

any other suggestions for DD/light off road fun?

10. IslanderOffRoad

skid plates, especially since you're not going very high. you'll be more likely to hit underbody components, minus whale protect them.

a swaybar disconnect kit for the front would be nice (ditch the rear one, its not needed), that would give you more flex when you're wheeling, but still provide help with sway on road.

11. Manthrax

Manthrax OT Supporter

where in maryland do you live?

do you know any good off roading spots? i cant find anymore construction areas or anythiong :(

12. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

near towson

no more good areas for 4 wheeling.....hell i can barely find places to ride my 4 wheeler any more

most the construction sites around here are starting to put up huge ass fencing or having a 24 hour security due to all the thefts of copper and stuff

what do you drive?

13. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

what jeep do you have?

there is not much protection out for the WJ from what ive seen, i seen some rock sliders then there is the upcountry package of skid plates and stuff

seems companies don't think ppl with WJ's wanna go offroad!

i been kinda bouncing back and forth on how much i wanna do since there are not alot of places to go close by and most times im usually just at a friend farm or some construction places if i can find one not secured or locked

14. spoon-ex

spoon-ex Active Member

ive actually been looking at IRO and im thinking about getting the 3" kit and the rock rails