Jeep Crew

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by equinerve, Dec 19, 2005.

1. equinerve

equinerve err.. hello there...

Hey, recently picked up a Cherokee and am wonderin whether or not is it possible to switch from 2WD to 4WD while driving.. I am hesitant to try b/c i want to fk the ride up. I know you can do it while parked [obviously] but am uncertain whether or not you can drive in 2wd and then while still moving shift to neutral and then switch to 4wd.... Anyone?

2. josha

josha New Member

4hi yes, 4lo no....

3. BradBell

BradBell New Member

on the fly. sure. just don't go low.

4. equinerve

k thnx, gotta try that tonite.

s'too bad there hasn't been any snow lately... meh.

5. BradBell

BradBell New Member

How did it work out? You go off road and get that bitch dirty?

6. equinerve

hah, i wish i could go off roading... but i'm too big of a newb with that stuff. My XJ is stock and I want to keep it in decent shape for a long while... therefore no offroading for her, unfortunately... :(

7. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

do not run 4wd on dry pavement....

8. DJ Quik

DJ Quik Vancouver 07/08 stanley cup champs!

Can someone explain the way the 4wd works on jeeps? i'm a newb to the whole deal.

like switching to 4wd... when to use hi/lo ... ect

9. josha

josha New Member

well one general rule is that you should only use 4lo when you are really stuck or climbing something, keep the speed under 15. And then use 4hi whenever you need to keep from slippin like on slipery roads or when just offroading in general.

10. FUBU

FUBU Guest

Not exactly, you would end up going from low to high gear a million times if you're wheeling for a few days. I only take it out of 4Low if I have a long distance to drive on a flat surface like a dirt road and I'll drop it in 2WD if I hit pavement.

11. FUBU

FUBU Guest

In a Jeep such as a Wrangler or a 4WD Cherokee there's a transfer case mated to the rear of the transmission which is then connected to the front and rear diffs with drive shafts. When the t-case is in 2WD it acts as a pass through which means the input shaft and rear output shaft spin at the same speed. In 4High the front driveshaft output is engaged but it's still a 1:1 ratio so both the front and rear driveshafts are spun at the same speed as the t-case input shaft. In 4Low the t-case then acts as a gear box and it increases the gearing by a set amount. This increased gearing gives you a higher crawl ratio which in turn gives you more climbing power and the ability to crawl over obstacles without stalling the motor. The higher the ratio in the t-case the higher the gearing and the slower the wheels will actually turn.

12. DJ Quik

DJ Quik Vancouver 07/08 stanley cup champs!

So to swtich into 4lo or hi.. do you drop it into neutral first?

I've just bought an 89 Cherokee limited, i think it has 4 settings on the 4X4 shifter. 2wd, 4wd fulltime, 4lo, and 4hi (i think).

13. equinerve

yes

and has anyone ever get a check engine light for their cherokee? just over this past wkend, it snowed liek a bitch on friday nite.. so :naughty: i went out for some fun 4wd'n that nite... and everything was fine until on sunday... i started noticing a check engine light... :wtc: so i hope it's okay.. i took it in today.. so hope it's ok. but damn, 4wd in snow is so much fun. :x:

14. equinerve

whew, got the baby back yesterday.... apparently some kind of cylinder misfire? well anyways, they cleaned up the fuel injector and put new spark plugs.. and she's mighty nice now... :)