Jeep Crew --- wheeling with an auto --- serious question.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mf101, Mar 15, 2004.

1. mf101

mf101 Guest

Ok I've owned like 7 trucks in my lifetime and have wheeled about 5 of them. They have all been autos except one. My Jeeps is also an auto. Wouldn't it be a pain in the ass to wheel with a stick? Having to slam it in first during steep grades and working the peddles while bouncing around and shit. Am I missing something?

I'd rather drop it in 4 wheel low and shift into 1st or 2nd and let it be.

Am I thinking it's more trouble than it's worth? Do you just mainly leave it in first anyway? But then you still have to work the clutch and that seems like it would suck. :dunno:

2. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

There is no question that a stick is more work to wheel with, but some like them because you have more control, they are less likely to overheat, less complicated, engine breaking on downhills, etc.
    All comes down to personal preference, neither is necessarily better than the other.

3. mf101

mf101 Guest

Interesting, really?

Yeah I just always see people say "must be manual" but when I went wheeling, it seems that would be a huge burden. It's bad enough running around town with a stick.

Any other downfalls of auto? If you keep it in 1st or 2nd?

4. 95YJ

95YJ Guest

4 Lo and 1st gear is like having an auto :rofl: :cool:

5. threecar

threecar Guest

heat, and lack of compression braking

I like autos better, but for slow wheeling, like rocks, a granny low gear, like in a sm465, or a nv4500 kicks ass.

6. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I love my 5 spd. It gets a little hairy when you're stopped on a steep grade and it bogs out. It can be a little tricky getting going again slipping the clutch, but if you're more hardcore you bypass the clutch for starting. Start it in gear and the starter can carry you over an obstacle. Starters are cheaper than clutches. :bigthumb:
    The engine braking is a MAJOR bonus. It's nice not heating up your brakes on a steep downhill, just leave it in 1st & low and gently cruise down. Safer than possibly locking up your brakes too.
    Autos are good for the torque effect of the TC, but I love having a stick. No shifting at the wrong moment when you need the RPM's.

7. mf101

mf101 Guest

yeah I don't imagine you'd shift much but the steep grade thing would scare the piss outta me. So the tranny can overheat or burn out with auto and steep grades?

8. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

Don't forget about the torque convertor though. ;)

9. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Just get an aftermarket tranny cooler.

10. mf101

mf101 Guest

:eek3:

What do they consist of?

11. threecar

threecar Guest

what about it?:dunno:

12. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

13. mf101

mf101 Guest

14. threecar

threecar Guest

nothing kills an auto tranny faster than heat. buy the best cooler you can.

15. mf101

mf101 Guest

Great tip man, never even considered that.

Still love the av/text :bowdown:

16. Jim311

Jim311 New Member

Don't most rockcrawlers use automatics? If simply because of the rediculously low gearing they offer? I've seen recommendations AGAINST getting Terralow 4:1 transfercases with automatics because the gearing would become too low. Mine is an automatic, and I've wheeled a stick, too. The automatic is much easier, but doesn't really offer some of the advantages a stick does. Like engine braking, or the simplicity when it comes to repairs. Sucking mud into an automatic transmission = teh lose

17. nucl3ar

nucl3ar Guest

One of the main reasons they use them is because they are easier to drive. When you have so much to focus on, rear steer, levers and whatnot, the less to distract you, the better.

18. mf101

mf101 Guest

Ahhh true story.

though I never had trouble with my trucks in some serious mud. Not that i know of anyway :eek3:

19. Jim311

Jim311 New Member

I've heard there's a transmission vent line that needs to be extended for running automatics in the mud. I need to do that on mine.. can't afford a new tranny!!

20. mf101

mf101 Guest

let me know what you find out :x:

21. Acesn8s

Acesn8s The Deadman's Hand

If you get really serious about wheeling with your manual you can always rig up an hand throttle.

22. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Also if you're having some sort of engine problems while on a downhill, just stay off the brake and the wheels rolling will keep the engine from dying. If it dies when you have to clutch & stop, just roll and let the clutch out to get it running again. In an auto it might not get started and then you lose any power brakes/steering you have.

23. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Check your diff's too.

24. mf101

mf101 Guest

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

25. threecar

threecar Guest

thats more for deep water than mud, but its a good idea to move it as high in the engine compartment as you can, same with differental vent hoses. regular rubber hose from autozone works fine.