Jeep Crew: Rubicon... worth the extra $$$

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Fathr O'Blivion, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Fathr O'Blivion

Fathr O'Blivion New Member

Who's got one?

Let me preface by sayin' that I live, work, and play in an area that receives at least 100 inches of snowfall per year. I also snowmobile in the place that consistently receives the most snow east of the Rockies.
    I've owned several 4X4 pickups and even a 95' Wrangler (which I loved), but every time I get stuck, I curse my axles for not having air lockers.

My other problem is that my daily drive is 30 miles, each way, to and from work. Mostly highway miles.
    Wranglers aren't very good on gas to begin with... how much does the lower gear ratio decrease the gas mileage? Is the heavy duty drive-train more/less prone to high mileage problems?

2. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

it depends on the year ...

TJ 4.0s (97-06) are great motors ... they have their problems (which can be avoided with regular maintenance and good fluids ... avoid the cheap stuff and you will be ok ... they live forever if you take care of them) which mainly include valve tap on the #4 cylinder (annoying to some, but not detrimental) and the later year 6 speed manual transmission (05-06 NSG370) has syncro problems in 1st and 2nd gear (running GM Syncromesh can delay the inevitable, but it wont cure it).

The front 'D44' (i put that in quotes because it is not a true D44, it still uses Dana 30 outters and thus keeps the weakest link, D30 stub shafts) is a decent axle for a jeep sized vehicle and the rear D44 is a great improvement over the D35c that was in lesser models (optional on non Rubicon models).

the lockers are two stage lockers ... when unlocked they act as a clutch type limited slip differential (worthless) and when locked act as full spools. They can have failures, though they are rare on stock or near stock vehicles.

The rubicons also had an upgraded transfer case (NV241OR ... called the rock-trac ... other models had the NV231 or command-trac). The 241 has a thicker case, lower gears, and is a good case (as good as a chain driven aluminum case can be). plenty of people swap them into non-rubi models.

the rubicon did not come with any extra lift or clearance from the factory, though the spring rates are slightly stiffer giving it the look of a small lift ( 0.5-1.5" is about the amount of lift you will think it has) and they came stock with Wrangler MT/Rs in a larger size than non-rubi models.

in all ... no, i dont think they are worth the markup ... but yes, they are a significant improvement over the non-rubi models .. just not for the price they are asking for them.

keep in mind, since you didnt specify which model years you were asking about, im referring to the pre-07 models (TJ)... all i know about the newer models (JK) is that its a sin to put a V-6 in a wrangler ... but i would still buy one if i had the money.

if you have owned other 4x4s ... then you know eactly what kind of gas mileage you are going to get. they have steeper gears, but they also have larger tires than non-rubi models, so it evens out fairly well.

and no, to my knowledge, there are no high mileage problems (that can't be avoided with good, regular maintenance) other than valve tap, and stretching the chain in the transfer case ... it might get sloppy, but it shouldnt pose a huge problem.

3. affende

also ... Bobby Long (www.longfieldsuperaxles.com) now makes replacement CV shafts for the rubicon ...

Long is known for making the best CVs in the business. He started with Toyota Birfield axles (his upgraded version is called the Longfield) and has since designed and nearly perfected the design for Toyotas. He also makes CV shafts for the venerable D60 axle and now the D44/30 rubicon axle.

if you want the best shafts the aftermarket has to offer, you want his.

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I would say no simply because Jeeps are already very capable vehicles and you can have all the same improvements for less if you shop around.

and I wouldn't say every V6 in a Jeep is a sin. The GM 4.3l V6 made the same horsepower and slightly more torque than the Jeep 4.0l straight six. It makes for a great little off road motor.

5. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

i get moar snow than you and drive a 96 miata with nokian haka r's

6. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

you need a lift and snow tires, not lockers

7. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Our 08 Unlimited Rubicon wiith the Hypertech MaxEnergy is averaging ~17mpg with the stock tires.

8. affende

you are retarded.

9. Fathr O'Blivion

Fathr O'Blivion New Member

WOW, thanks for all the good info!

I've had my eye on a 2006 with less than 12K miles, nicely equipped, hard-top, with a sticker price of $18,500. One drawback, it does have an automatic, :( but that's not necessarily a deal breaker.

[​IMG]

I also know of a 2006 Rubicon Unlimited with a only a few more miles (17K, or so) for the same price... I don't need, or want, a 4 door... but for the same money? :dontknow:

Considering the economic climate, I think I'll go with the consensus and opt for a regular ol' Wrangler X... save 4-5 grand, maybe buy some nice aftermarket parts, and some meaty but narrow snow tires. However, I think I might still get jealous whenever I see a Rubicon.

Thanks everyone.

10. affende

just get the 6 cyl ... the 4 bangers wont get out of their own way ... they average 80~100 WHP :o

if its an 06 wrangler unlimited (LJ) ... its not a 4 door. its just longer wheelbase and longer tub ... the 4 doors didnt start until 08 (possibly 07, cant remember, but not before 07)

11. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Its about 1k for a used 241OR

You'll put about 2k into axles to get 4.10's and lockers. I dont like the Rubi front because its low pinion; swap in a high pinion 30 from an older XJ.

I think the Rubis are priced about right for someone who wants a Jeep they can use out of the box. If you like tinkering though, buy the X.

12. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

My buddy has a 4dr Rubicon.

With his winch, he never gets stuck stuck. He has air lockers and 4:1 4lo with 4:10's. He can lock it in and crawl over curbs with out even touching the throttle. It also has electric sway bar disconnects for when he needs a little extra flex.

It makes it through things many modified trucks dont make it through.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i do not mind the 4 bangers as long as you are not on the highway they really dont feel bad. you dont want a wrangler for the highway drives anyway.

14. affende

like every other rubicon?

:rofl: @ curb

15. skeletor25rs

Maybe he installed air lockers, because Rubicons come with electric.

16. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

The only issue I have with Rubicons is for a while they claimed to have Dana 44 axles but they were hybrids and not much stronger then a Dana 30 used on the base level Jeep.

However, they are arguably the most capable stock 4x4 out there.

I prefer an auto in the rocks. So much easier.

17. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Also, as far as being able to modify a stock base level jeep for cheaper that depends on your level of experience and willingness to do the work yourself. Getting a set of Dana 44's set up with new gears and installed will cost thousands of dollars.

I'd say go for it if you have the cash and don't intend on doing any serious offroading because if you do you will end up ripping out the stock shit for stronger axles anyway.

18. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

TJ Rubis use air, JK's use electronic.

19. affende

:hsugh:

20. skeletor25rs

:hsughr:

You know what I meant.

21. affende

i know you like penis in the butt ... wanna cuddle? :naughty:

22. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

That was the point...his jeep is stock minus the bumpers and winch.

And why are you laughing at curb.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_(road)

23. affende

did you hear the joke about the ceiling?

dont worry, its over your head.

24. skeletor25rs

Only if I'm the big spoon :mamoru:

25. affende

deal!!! book the next flight to Va!!!