Jeep Crew.... question!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by DJ Quik, Mar 16, 2005.

1. DJ Quik

DJ Quik Vancouver 07/08 stanley cup champs!

I'm looking into buying a jeep for myself for this summer... buying a used slightly older... 88-95ish.... I'm just wondering if jeeps are as reliable as i've always thought they were? My brother told me not to buy a jeep unless it is new, (he owned a early 90's cherokee).

I'm more interested in a YJ or TJ...

I've also heard the I4 is pretty gutless and to stick with the I6 4.0 L...

Any comments would be appreciated!

2. jerky1280

jerky1280 Member

Yes, the I4 is gutless. I've heard of more problems with the YJ than with the TJ. Cherokee's have proven to be pretty durable through the years, 4.0L/auto tranny is the best combination on both vehicles. The older manuals tend to go through clutches pretty regularly (~50-100k miles).

3. Jeffery

Jeffery Guest

Fuel injected 6 is the only way to go, you'll find those in 92 or newer models. Nothing wrong with a YJ, just older. Cheaper to upgrade as well. Coils in the TJ are nicer, but way more complicated and expensive to modify.

4. get the coil spring TJ, they are very affordable now, most will have the I-6 and the coils will allow for some wicked articulation.
    visit my site for photos and goodies
    www.MuddyJEEP.com

5. schmack

schmack Professional Lurker OT Supporter

I'm on my third TJ. Great vehicles. Has a few more creature comforts than the YJ.

Yes, the I4 has no ass.

6. Dawgboy

Dawgboy New Member

I've had a '97 tj since may of '96. There were a few recalls, but it was a brand new model so those things are expected. As far as reliability, it's always been there for me.
    Get the 6-cylinder!! I have an I4 and that's been my only regret. I just ordered an Unlimited so I guess that's not gonna be a problem any more.:bigthumb:

7. Zimmy76

Zimmy76 I like my beer like I like my violence, domestic

I own a 89 XJ with 245K on the motor and it still runs fine, starts right up and does great.

However if I were you I'd try to stick to a 6 cylinder