JBL 1200.1 question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D3vilz, Nov 11, 2002.

1. D3vilz

D3vilz Guest

Would i be safe running a 12" D4 L5 parraled on a JBL 1200.1 @ 1200 watts 2 ohms??

I dont want to overpower the sub... Would it be better if i ran a Kicker 600.1 or JBL 600.1?

The only problem is the kicker 600.1 is almost the same price as the jbl 1200.1...

2. 04

04 Guest

Define safe. You could hook a 4kW amplifier up to that subwoofer and if you only played it for short millisecond bursts at 4kW it would be fine.

But do you plan on playing your subwoofer all day clipped to hell?

I would get the JBL, just be carefull with the volume knob.

3. D3vilz

D3vilz Guest

Re: Re: JBL 1200.1 question

It wont be clipped to hell all day but i would be listening to music at a resonable volume... I could always wire it in 8 ohm till i got another sub..

I just want to have some nice bass in the background but have the ability to bump when i want..

4. 04

04 Guest

Re: Re: Re: JBL 1200.1 question

Hmm, well usually "reasonable" volume is not loud enough to do any damage, although it really depends on your definition of reasonable! :big grin:

My friend has a 2000 L7 and it is very loud, and he has yet to blow it, yet he abuses it terribly. I doubt you would be able to hurt it, unless you intentionally try and break it, or just keep the volume up too loud for too long.

5. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

If play your music extremely loud then the JBL amps are not the way to go unless you modifty it. Straight from JBL "Under a large signal input, with music that is composed of high-level bass, the amplifier mutes for 2-3 seconds, and then returns to normal operation" Here's the mod JBL BP 1200.1

6. 04

04 Guest

I wouldnt worry about that problem unless he actualy buys the amplifier, and it starts doing that. Besides, even if he was right before clipping the amplifier, it would probably fry the driver pretty damn fast, 1.2kW is pretty tough on ANY speaker.

7. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

My friends amp goes into protection mode all the dam time. I can do nothing but laugh but it wont hurt the XXX 1.2kw its just warming the sub up :)

8. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

set your gain accordingly and you should be fine.

9. 04

04 Guest

I almost guarantee you could blow the XXX with that much power. I could probably blow it with 400w if I played it for long enough. I know my 1803 would blow with a constant 400w going to it for a few hours. Its all a matter of timing.

10. D3vilz

D3vilz Guest

Well im probably going to go with a kicker 600.1 unless someone knows of a good mono amp that does 600-900 watts at 2 ohms for under $300?

Thanks for the help!

11. 04

04 Guest

Lanzar vibe 1200D. It is around 240 dollars and puts out 800w into 2ohms and 1200 into 1ohm.

I bought two, one for my brother and one for his friend from www.thezeb.com .

12. D3vilz

D3vilz Guest

Yeah i found a lanzar for $200 brand new on ebay...

Never heard much about lanzar, are the relaible?

13. 04

04 Guest

I have had no issues with either of the Lanzar amplifiers I have installed.

There was a problem with a run of the 1200D's blowing up about a year ago, but I believe that problem was fixed.

I believe Lanzar has AT LEAST a one year warranty on them, probably a few more than that....