Javascript question - Netscape (v4.x) related

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sir_ComesAlot, Jan 31, 2003.

1. I am trying to mimic a drop down menu without using graphics.

Under IE I have the text link in a div block and I am using the onMouseover/out to simulate the rollovers. The mouse changes to the hand when you hover over the text link and I believe I can change the mouse image myself using the onMouse over/out and the cursor style. I should also be able to use the onClick, at the DIV level, to allow the user to click anywhere in the DIV block instead of just on the text link.

Is there a way I can mimic this behavior under Netscape (v4.x) also? I'm pretty sure I can use the Layers block with the onMouseover/out to do the rollovers but is there a way to allow the user to click anywhere in the Layer block or am I limited to them having to use the text link?

I hope that made sense ...

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

If you get something to work, then I tip my hat off to you. Especially if you get it to work in Mozilla, IE, Netscape v4.x, and extra credit for Opera.

An interesting article on CSS only drop down menus: evolt.org

From now on, when I say Netscape, I'm referring to the v4.x browsers. Netscape does handle DIV tags, but the DIVs have limited DHTML support and require a completely different approach to accessing them then IE or Mozilla. Layers are in the same boat. I would only use layers if I needed something for Netscape that worked like IE's iframes. Again because of Netscape's DOM, to access the layer and div tags will be backwards to any of the other browsers.

Another approach might be to check out http://www.hotscripts.com and see all the DHTML menus they have there and either one of them might fit your needs exactly or you might get ideas from them.

The other approach is to drop the drop down menu support in Netscape (v4.x), BUT make it so it gets dropped gracefully where Netscape users would not notice there were drop down menus (or at least make it so they can get to all your site content).

Good luck!