Java Progammers - or any programmers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kevlarface, Jun 7, 2005.

1. kevlarface

kevlarface New Member

I am in school taking certain types of web programming, just finished Java. This is the year I have learned to program. I think I am getting the hang of it.

Question for you guys is what kind of projects do you deal in the real world?

I had just finished a project it was about a week long.. basically make amazon.com in a week( have customers log in, search products, etc)

2. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

I work at a newspaper so I deal with a lot of database stuff, mostly in PHP/SQL. Specifically setting up news article databases and front ends for them. That kind of stuff.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Java is my background, but right now im working for a Volkswagon dealership moving their systems to their intranet on a LAMP box.

They have many old systems, excel sheets, and new features that they want accessible from their intranet. It's great. Sofar we are a week ahead of their expected deadlines.

I can't really say much more due to the NDA though. :(

But if you have any specific questions that are not realted to my work I;m sure i could answer

4. CalSpeedRacer

CalSpeedRacer i lurk

no offense but saying you built amazon.com in a week makes you sound not that intelligent. it sounds like what you built was a simple storefront.

5. samm

samm Next in Line

My most recent software development project is creating a scalable distributed resource management system for large parallel computer systems. It's written in C++, so I've had to learn a lot about multiple inheritance, polymorphism, and data hiding. I learned Java before C++, so some of the stuff from Java has come in handy.

6. kevlarface

kevlarface New Member

I was just putting it simple...a simple store front yes, simple no.. because I had never programmed in java in life and only started in May. There was about 13 servlets in all for the whole project.
    thanks for the insight from the rest of you guys...keep them coming.

7. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

I do multi-datasource fusion for temporal and 2D/3D geospacial analysis and automated reasoning for military and law-enforcement customers.

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

It's ok. Most of us understand what you are saying. There are few with thicker skulls though. Good job on the project. Just keep coding. When you have nothing to do, make projects for yourself, and you gradually get better. Different scenerios, new things, etc...