java people, what should i use as an IDE

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tk, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

my class uses NetBeans, and my source files must be able to compile in the NeatBeans environment, but I want to do my work from home (instead of spending 2 hours in lab) so what should i use that'll work with netbeans?

im assuming its all the same, but some programs handle files differently. :dunno:

2. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

whatever you want, the source should not be locked to any IDE, assuming you use no Netbean proprietary jars. Now, you could use Sun Forte for Java, which is based on Netbeans, but you don't neccesarily have to. Eclipse is free, there is a free version of JBuilder, and I think there is a free version of NetBeans, or Forte... How about vi, if you are one of those people? Check your license, if it is per-user, then you could install it at home legally.

3. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i used to use JBuilder

but now i just use Notepad clone/editor + extra features

it's called EditPlus+ it highlights java syntax etc and you can just compile it through command prompt

4. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I've been using JBuilder since version 5. There are probably far better products out there but I'm pretty attached. I'd say give it a try one time. :dunno:

5. Divine Vengeance

Divine Vengeance New Member

My class uses BlueJ (don't ask), but I use Codewarrior or JBuilder at home. My advice is to try them all, and find something that you like.

6. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

:cool:

im just making sure that different products will work, because i'd hate to have my assignment done in one and end up having to do it in another.

thanks guys :)

7. tailgate

tailgate Whats with today, today?

why dont you just use netbeans, last time i checked it was free. jdk is also free

I would only use netbeans to build a complex gui or maybe debug, then use editplus and the command line to compile