Java or C++

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mr Bad Guy, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Mr Bad Guy

Mr Bad Guy Guest

I already have a bachelors in computer information systems, but didn't learn alot about java or c++, and what I did learn, i've basically forgotten, because I still haven't been able to find a job. So i'm hoping to at least learn one of those for now, c++ or java, so that I can possibly better my chances of being able to find a job. So i'm asking which do you guys think would better for me to learn? I might either take a class at a community college or buy books and teach myself. I'm leaning more towards teaching myself. Can anyone recommend some good books for c++ or java? I still have my text books, but they aren't that great. Thanks for the opinions and input.

Corey

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I would check around the area and see what companies are looking for. What exactly did you study in college? It will probably just be a refresher for you if you took either of those at any depth.

3. cunninglinguist

cunninglinguist RAEPERQUICKING

I think it depends on the job title, youre looking for. If its something in the development area, learn as many as you can, but start with C/C++. For more of a management role, learn the basics at first. Those types of jobs are more business than technical, so use your business skills to get a job and learn the technical stuff as you go along.

4. Mr Bad Guy

Mr Bad Guy Guest

I learned a little bit of a lot of stuff. I took two semesters of C/C++, one of Java, one of Visual Basic, 2 of SQL, one of networking, 2 of systems analysis. I think i'm gonna start with C++ for now. Are there any free c++ compilers for windows?

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

personally i would do java. i mean c++ is nice, but java is going big. its nice cause of cross compatibility, and on monster/dice etc, 50% of the programming jobs have java in it. (off of /.)

i can program in both, and personally i like java better. took me a while to change over, but i did.

6. Bono

Bono Guest

7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

There are more jobs in java right now

but i would refresh my C skills first

8. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

9. Chimpa Codigo

Chimpa Codigo Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Modulators

if you know C++ well enough Java will come easy

10. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

11. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

:nods:

I've found/heard that learning C++ after Java is somewhat hard and learning Java after C++ is much easier. :dunno: