MMA japanese jiu jitsu...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Nov 13, 2006.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

have any of you guys had experience with japanese jiu jitsu? In my opinion I think it is the main reason why some people who don't know what bjj is look down upon it. I've gone to a couple JJJ classes a while ago to see what it was like, and they taught 5 judo throws, a LOT of aikido like wrist locks and didn't roll or do anything at the end. Anyways... just wanna know if anybody had experience w/ this style, bad or good.

2. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Theres a JJJ club at my university, I think they're the bastards that tore down our grappling club flyers. But dunno, I just know there were like "10 black belts" and crap and pretty much everything you said from a friend of mine who went to one thinking it was the Brazilian version.

3. teep

teep New Member

Theres someone in my club that trained Japanese jiu jitsu pretty extensively. I realize that it's very different from no gi bjj, but I've never seen anything special from him. Now that you mentioned it next time I see him I'll ask him to roll and report back here.

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Is it really called Japanese Jiu Jitsu? Jiu Jitsu sounded japanese to me this whole time, so I figured it was founded there and therefore just Jiu Jitsu. Wrong?

5. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

if someone spells it "jiu jitsu" theyre usually referring to bjj

if someone spells it ju jitsu or ju jutsu, theyre usually referring to jjj

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:coold: yeah i was curious so I wikipedia'd it. Interesting history there.

7. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

The system I'm training in is primarily Japanese, although we do a lot of Brazilian style stuff, as well as western boxing/muay thai.

I can see that it would be effective, but not more so than, say, Hapkido. Actually, I've seen a lot of crossover between the two.

Like anything else, it's probably going to be up to the person training as to how effective it is.