Japanese cell phones

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 240 KA-T, Jul 22, 2005.

1. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

I will be going to Japan to study abroad and was hoping to get a unique/advanced cellphone (or possibly dig. camera as well). I have heard that there are ways of switching all of the stuff to english as well as having it work with my service provider. I was wondering where I could get more info on this type of stuff since I am pretty much a newb to the whole thing. Any help would be appreciated.

2. coachrapture

coachrapture New Member

If I remember correctly from the last time I was in Tokyo, those phones over there are on a different type of GSM network from the rest of Europe and America so their phones will not work over here. Maybe someone's hacked it so that they work here.

3. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

Japan is on a WCDMA network over that is pretty advanced - its full blown 3G, we have nothing like it over here. Any phones that they have over there will NOT work here and vice versa.

4. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

vodafone has some models with english menus (and worldwide use), but the others dont have much last i looked.

AU seemed to have the best camera phones when i bought mine last september. (their casio has a 3.2MP camera).

If you get one of the more modern phones, dont expect it to work in the US at all.

vodafone is probably the cheapest major provider, followed by AU, with NTT docomo being the most expensive.

expect the monthly bill to be much higher than in the US, especially if you use it often. (some crazy people, generally highschool girls, and shortly thereafter, have been known to spend as much as $300 per month on cellphone bills).

5. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

korean phones are more advanced than japan

6. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

they use the same type of network

7. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

WTF vodafone is european, and they use a completely different cellular network than japan/korea

8. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

vodafone is in japan as well. many/most of the phones they have in japan only work on the networks here, but they have a few multiband worldwide phones.

9. 240 KA-T

240 KA-T New Member

Hmm ok so I guess I won't mess with phones. But what do you guys think of buying a vid camera there. Are they cheaper/more advanced than in the US? And I hear there are a couple places you can DL software to hack em and change it all to english config. Thx.

10. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

oh :o

11. coachrapture

coachrapture New Member

Electronics really aren't cheaper in Japan. They're pretty comparable to prices that you would pay in the US. However, they do have some items that are not available yet in the US. Try Akihabara station on the JR line. This area is catered to foreigners and often have everything set up in English for you already. Plus, if you bring your passport, they don't charge you any sales tax.

12. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

NTT DoCoMo
    vodafone
    au

3 biggest carriers in japan

pretty much you buy a phone locked to a network
    and these phones done seem to work well without mods outside of japan