MIL Japan bases

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by OneHevnleyAngel, Sep 2, 2009.

1. OneHevnleyAngel

OneHevnleyAngel New Member

Yokota, Misawa... anyone been or heard anything about either? Its our BOP after my husbands tour in Korea. I can't wait to jump ship off this base.

2. Parris04

Parris04 New Member

I was station on Misawa for about a year, but I am not sure what BOP means.

3. armond

armond New Member

I am currently at Yokota AB, what do you wanna know?

I can give you a little break down.

It is about 30 miles(about 1 hour driving/train) from Tokyo. Access to lots to do really. Do NOT be a complainer and then it turns out that you haven't left the base. Lots of people come here, don't leave the base and complain that there is nothing to do... You are in JAPAN!

I have been here since only April of this year and the wife and I have climbed Mt Fuji, visited the Meiji Shrine, been to Tokyo, Yokosuka, Yokahama, and more. No to mention going to the top of the largest building in Japan, Landmark Tower. We plan on hitting up Kyoto and I do wanna head up north to see the monkeys(not in cages). Also Fujiku is in the works(amusement park).

Buy a bike, well worth it. Easy to get places and great exercise. I recommend it. If you need a car, as long as you have about $1500 you will be ok. I actually recommend having around $2000, that way you can buy a car and get the insurance. Most cars here for sale are of older ages but have low mileage, besides you will only have it here for a few years then you can either junk it(get whatever amount you have left on your insurance back) or sell it off to another new guy. The cars run fine usually, because Japan has strict laws on running cars when they go up for JCI(Japanese Compulsory Inspection, I think I got it right...), so they have to be in good running condition and have all working parts.

The food is AWESOME! Tonkatsu is the best(fried chicken, but not even close to American style). They also do Kimchi, Yakiniku and Bibimbop as well(Korean though in origin, all three are). SUSHI is plentiful if you like the fish and loads of different Ramen are at your fingertips! Miso Soup is found everywhere with most meals as well as good ol' Gohan(rice).

The people are either polite or indifferent, so either way they leave you be. You will like, just be a good American and not some POS like some of the people here are... I hate when people give us a bad name.

Also, lots of little festivals and stuff to be a part of!!!

If you have any other questions, I will try to answer! I will post a few pics when I get the chance.

4. Parris04

Parris04 New Member

I lived in Japan for almost 10 years. Man I loved it!

5. evan2

evan2 Guest

You forgot Kadena

Misawa is too fucking cold
    Kadena is on a smaller island and the base is a bit more close knit
    Yokota is main land Japan and near Tokyo, I would want to be there but it is not for everyone.

6. armond

armond New Member

Camp Zama as well. Kind of a joint thing with the Army and Air Force. Few guys I recognize out there as well.

7. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Heh almost got picked for Camp Zama... Oh well got Schweinfurt, Germany. Hopefully Japan after Germany when the time comes.

8. armond

armond New Member

That's where I wanna go next, Germany!

Germany was my number 1 choice, Japan my number 2. :cool:

9. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Haha swap? Im on civilian side now though... :bowdown:

10. G_Ranger

G_Ranger New Member

Are you not enjoying Schweinfurt much?

11. OneHevnleyAngel

Ahh thanks for the info, I didnt mention Kadena because we didnt put in for kadena.
    Do you live on base or on the economy?? Whats the shopping like? Is "american" food readily avaliable?? Do you know anything about the schools?? My daughter will just be entering 1st grade when we PCS. I'll take all the information you have. Thanks again!

12. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

fuck...that names a blast from the past:eek3:

13. OneHevnleyAngel

Way past huh?? It's only been like 8 years... :rofl: been on OT that long and my post count almost rivals a noob. What can I say, I was at work most of the time.

14. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I dated a Japanese chick in HS. One of my friends came up to me and asked: "Hey man, is it true that chink pussy is sideways?" When I looked at him and realized he was serious... I replied: "Yes man, it is. And it feels the same."

15. armond

armond New Member

We live on base, our housing is pretty nice; central air, 2 rooms(no kids), large living room, decent sized kitchen. But we also live in a Graden Home, so we can have a dog; waiting tobring him over come around January.

"American" food is readily available if you mean stuff like pizza hut, BK, Taco Bell, Anthony's Pizza, Subways, and a few other places that we kindly refer to as fast food. I caution you, be aware that at the commissary the variety is NOT large. So if there is ANYTHING that you can't have without for some time, and it can be shipped to here, do it!

On a side note, Japanese food is GREAT! Try everything at least once! :bigthumb:

I hear the schools are good. But seeing as I have no kids I can only go off of hearsay. But this is a GREAT country to have kids in. Everything here in Japan seems to keep kids in mind and provides something readily available that they can be occupied with. Even store music has a "child-like" quality to it. ;) They do have beginning of the year get-togethers at the AFRC(Airman and Family Readiness Center) so look out for that!

Make sure your sponsor is on it! They can make or break your experience here. I volunteer myself and my wife to jump in and help if need be. Just PM me if you need a house number/cell number to contact if you come here and want some added assistance. Like if your sponsor is not up to par, let me know, we can help. Just be aware I am an A1C, not an NCO(your husband's rank is?). So in other words just look at it as a friend outside of the military trying to help you all out. :cool:

Ask away, and I will try to answer!

16. armond

armond New Member

LOL! Gave that guy a total mislead!

17. OneHevnleyAngel

Thanks so much. My husband is a Ssgt. If you get a chance I'd love to see pictures. It's always nice to know at least 1 person before you ship off. What do you do?

18. armond

armond New Member

I am in the 374 CS and I work in Tech Control. And your husband does what?

Also, just so you know, there is a great opportunity to earn money thru teaching English to the Japanese people, that is what my wife does. She makes around $30 an hour doing it. Also, it is tax free. :bigthumb:

I will post some pics when i get the chance!

19. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Hey man when do you get here? I've been to Amsterdam, Prague, and some other places so far. I love the autobahn... my cheap old BMW 525 I bought hits 220kph no problem.

20. OneHevnleyAngel

Ahh, my husband is SF, he's a K-9 handler, specializes with an EDD dog.
    Do you have to have a teaching certificate?? That I for sure would be interested in. Gotta love tax free. You could work for minimum wage and still live like a baller. :rofl: Is the base pretty large? I dont mean sq footage I mean like is everyone in everyone elses oatmeal?? That's our problem here at Patrick, its so small that there is just no room to breathe and we dont even live on base here. We have never lived on base so that's going to be a huge change. Do you get 4 seasons there?? It's pretty much hot, hot, hotter and hot here. I haven't worn jeans like the whole time we have been here. Shopping for a Christmas tree in shorts is just so wrong.

21. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

was stationed on Misawa for 3 years, I really liked it there. but the wife and i really like the winter sports (snowboarding, skiing etc...) and the season is nice and long on a couple of the mountains around there...

Base itself was ok, very small town japan on the outside though.

22. armond

armond New Member

I don't recall anyone mentioning a certificate or anything, just native English speaker.

As far as I know there are 4 seasons, but I have only been here since April!

Ferris Wheel, Pic taken from top of Landmark Tower!
    [​IMG]

Shrine at the Meiji Shrine LOL!
    [​IMG]

Famous Takeshita St:
    [​IMG]

On base pic:
    [​IMG]

ABOVE the clouds at Mt. Fuji:

[​IMG]

Again, above the clouds:

[​IMG]

Last one for now, a small shrine:

[​IMG]

23. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

base of preference?

24. G_Ranger

G_Ranger New Member

Mid november, or at least before Thanksgiving hopefully. Thats good man, traveling is too easy from germany! i cant wait to get back there and get on some more trips!

25. dave5678

dave5678 New Member

Awesome I hope you make it back by then to hang out with your family for the holidays.

Anyways we are still living in the hotel... going to be 2 months on the 18th. The extra money is nice but damn I need find a house!

Stay safe man. :bigthumb: