MMA jammed up my wrist hitting the heavy bag

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by smell my finger, May 13, 2007.

1. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

:hs:

it's not too bad, but it's annoying enough to hamper BJJ and further heavy bag training for a week or so.

it sucks, because it didnt feel it sprain at any point ... i just woke up and it was sore

2. pereza

pereza OT Supporter

Usually if you hit the bag wrong you know right away.

Its weird how your shit is just sore. You've been hitting the bag alot lately?
    That could cause the soreness.

3. miek

miek New Member

I jammed my wrist once at hockey, played a couple more shifts because it didn't hurt but my coach took me off the ice because he knew something was wrong. I go to the hospital the next morning... busted scaphoid.... 13 months in a cast and 1 surgery later :wtc:

4. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

go to a pharmacy and look for an ACE wrist brace. take out the medal thing inside of it. wear it during BJJ.. just wrap it with that tearable silver hardware tape.

i had bad wrists for more than a year, and was able to train because of this brace

5. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

im not sure which metal thing you're talking about, but it sounds good :o

not a ton.. but i wrapped up my hands pretty loose this time and i think that contributed to it

6. chechen

theres a metal thingy inside of the brace that keeps your wrist straight, but u can remove it

7. raxton

raxton .

tearable silver hardware tape = duct tape

8. chechen

no :squint:

its called TSHT

9. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

What kind of wraps are you using?

Just give your wrist time to heal. I'd say don't hit a bag or roll or lift heavy shit with it until a week after all pain has gone away... I've had a few wrist injuries and this has always worked great. If you jump back into it too soon then you're just likely to hurt yourself again.

Make sure you're using 180" hand wraps for bagwork and sparring, plus bag gloves. Also, start focusing more of the wrap towards the wrist than the knuckles. Many people think that the most important part of hand wrapping is padding the knuckles, but really want you want to do is go back and forth between the wrist and knuckles to connect them and keep the hand from bending too much, then wrap the wrist a lot just to keep it solid, especially at the base area where your hand meets your wrist.

I used to use 180" but since I have large hands I've actually switched to buying 108" handwraps, cutting the velcro part off one of them, and sewing two of the wraps together, so they're really more like 210". You might try the same, if you know how to use a needle and thread.

10. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Did you have your wrist wrapped up well?? I used to not believe wrap was necessary, until I jammed the hell out of my wrist/hand hitting the heavy bag... I didn't actually break anything, but it took a few weeks before it stopped hurting enough to work out again...