Jailbroken iphone/touch crew: A question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DeathClock, Mar 17, 2009.

1. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

So I recently jailbroke my 16gb touch 2g using the redsnow tethered method and its all working great, got cydia installed, winterboard with tons of themes, even got the intelliscreen dynamic lock screen and I am loving it. So anyways my question is do any of you know of like media codec packages that can be installed to allow the device to playback videos of other formats? I have tons of AVI, MPG, and WMV videos that I would love to drop in my /var/media directory but no way to play them still. I assumed after jailbreaking it I would be able to find full featured media players capable of playing any format with codec installations or something... or is this thing too slow for software based decoding?

2. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

I thought I saw programs to download in Cydia that accomplished this...?

I haven't done this but I'm sure there are other media players available in Cydia.

3. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

Damn, I thought someone would have something more concrete here... Is this the right forum to ask or should I go to computers and programming? After all I don't even use macs lol I just posted here because its an apple product...

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

a lot of people post it here but give it some time, people should be able to post up

5. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

Yeah lol im being impatient was hoping I would have something before work tomorrow, oh well lol.

6. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I'm hoping a QuickPwn gets released soon for the 2G touch :hs: Was it difficult to use the tethered method to jailbreak it?

7. DeathClock

DeathClock Guest

Not if you follow the directions exactly, but I am a software engineer with a masters degree in computer science so I'm not totally computer illiterate lol... Here is the directions I followed if you are interested:
    http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144041

Be VERY careful when installing the libusb program, it will not work on a 64-bit vista so you can't even do this if you use that, but for 32bit vista make damn sure you set the programs compatibility to windows XP before you run it. If you don't you will lose all of your USB ports.

Actually the hardest part was figuring out the button press timing to get into DFU mode, I used this video on youtube, follow it exactly, pressing the buttons when they are red and releasing when they are not:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQUFFGMyrz4&feature=related