jack-of-all-trades or one-hit wonder?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by oasis, Apr 26, 2003.

1. oasis

oasis Guest

i'll be finishing school soon and looking for a job in the IT sector, more specifically something to do with database administration/programming. anyways my question to you guys is is it better to know a bit about a variety of programming languages or is it better to know 1 or 2 in depth?

i belong to the former category and i'm concerned that although it looks good on my resume, i feel that i really don't know that much...

2. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I have mixed feelings on this issue. I think that while you are in school you should be a jack of all trades, so if you need a consulting job you can pretty much do anything. Then, once school is over, become a master of one. Problem is, where do you find the time between school and "the real world" to master a language/technology?

3. Kent

Kent Guest

(Disclaimer: I don't know anything about databases -- I'm a C/C++ programmer)

Problem with being a master of one is that you may be up the creek if it falls out of fashion. Who knows what currently popular language will end up as the next Pascal or COBOL.

You need to be able to pick up new languages and technologies pretty quickly on the job. You'll likely use a variety of them in your career. You do need to be good at least one to really be able to pick up others, I think.

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

As with all things in life I feel it better to know something about alot of differnt subjects. In computers and technology I try to learn everything about everything. :big grin:

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

good topic... i've had many conversations about this with fellow programmers.

Now in programming, i feel that once you are a good developer, you can take that and apply it to almost any language. You may have to learn the specifics about the technology/framework, but if you're good, you're good. And in this case, don't limit yourself to just one language. Learn all that you can. And in this rapidly changing field, you almost need to.

I think it is also good, if you're a programmer, to know a thing or two about system admin stuff also. It helps you communicate with your network admins, and in the end, they will have a higher respect for you. I'd almost say your development skills are pretty much useless unless you know how to manage the system you are developing on.

6. Playboy

Playboy Part time arrogant bastard

Know the subtle differences between languages (ie. transitioning C to Java).

As long as you keep up, you won't become extinct with the COBOL programmers out there.

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

COBOL is still a required language in my degree program :hs: