I've tried everything I can think of ***DVD Burning Problems***

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blazed Monkey, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Blazed Monkey

Blazed Monkey It puts the lotion on its skin....

No matter what I do, I can't seem to get my sisters DVDR to burn properly:

Details:
    - Lite-On DVD+-RW8x (sorry, don't know the model # off the top of my head)
    - The burner is on IDE2 set as the master drive
    - ASPI is up to date
    - DMA is enabled on both the HDD she is burning the image from, as well as the DVDR
    - DVD's are being ripped with the latest version of DVDShrink

She can burn CD's perfectly, but whenever she burns a DVD, it appers to burn perfectly, but when you go to play it, about halfway through the disc, it starts to archive (gets all pixleated and blocky) and sometimes the disc will just stop playing. She is burning at 4x using the latest version of Nero (which has also had it's ASPI for Nero updated). The only thing I haven't tried is burning at a slower speed, but what's the point of having a burner rated @ 8x when it won't even burn properly @ 4x. (the only reason she is burning at 4x is because I haven't found any 8x discs locally, minor details). I know there is nothing wrong with the discs, I am using the exact same ones.

We have the exact same setup, the only difference is that she has a Lite-On burner, and I have a Plextor, but other than that, we have virtually the same setup. Is there something else I am missing? Something I haven't enabled or need to double check? Help me out here guys, I'm at a complete loss on this one :rant2:

2. Intuit

Intuit Guest

Have you tried temporarily installing her DvD player to your system to eliminate the possibility of software problems ?

Have you check with the manufacturer for a BIOS upgrade on the DvD Drive ?

3. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

This right here is the best suggestion, if it still doesn't work in yours that thing is defective, nothing tech support can say about that.

4. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

1. Swap DVD drives
    2. Have you tried playing the DVD burnt on her computer on another computer/DVD player? Blocky/pixelated on all?

5. Blazed Monkey

I'll try swaping the drives tomorrow. As far as the BIOS goes, I've updated her BIOS for the DVD drive, as well as all of her other components that can/do have a firmware upgrade available, nothing helps.

When it plays on the computer, the discs play fine, no matter how fucked up they are when I put them in a standalone DVD. I have 3 DVD players at my house, I've tried them in all of them and they all fuck up at the same spots, so it's something to do with the disc, not the player, and for whatever reason the computer doesn't have a problem with playing them (I'm assuming because it's got correction capabilities that a standalone player doesn't). If I try to re-rip the fucked up disk using DVDShrink or other such programs, it encounters errors and it can't finish ripping the discs. I know there is a problem with the discs, even if the computer plays them perfectly, I just don't know what it is.

I'll try swapping out the drives tomorrow, see if that helps, otherwise, I'm taking the fucker back :mad:

6. irichie

irichie New Member

what brand of media are you using? try verifying for bad sectors with DVDINFOPRO? just because the DVD-R finishes burning doesnt mean you have a good burn ...

7. Blazed Monkey

Memorex 4x DVD+R, 25 or 50 pack (the discs are actually ricoh discs, supposedly one of the best brands available).

I'll check out DVDINFOPRO, but the problem is not that I don't know if there are bad sectors or not, the problem is the bad sectors. I use the exact same discs as my sister, haven't had a single problem yet with any of my burns, so I know there aren't bad sectors on the discs before I burn them. I need to know how to prevent the bad sectors during burning, and what is causing them.

8. irichie

irichie New Member

9. Impreza25

Impreza25 Guest

I am assuming your copying a movie you rented or borrowed, i had similar problems with my discs, play fine on computer but skip, freeze or dont play in my standalone palyer, I downloaded dvd decrypter and that removed any encription codes that caused the problems, then you use dvd shrink to shrink the files it creates. I did the same movie this way and havent had anyproblems with it

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Have you checked for new firmware for the drive?