TAT I've noticed something...

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Mel, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Mel

Mel RIP James :(

For people that speak of open mindedness and acceptance, a lot of people with tattoos and piercings are fairly overly judgemental on other people's tattoos and piercings, often calling them "overplayed", "trite", "trendy."

I wonder why that is. :confused:

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

from what i've seen those people who get called "overplayed, trite, trendy" are the ones who haven't put thought into their own modification and it usually has no personal meaning to them.

i can explain each of my piercings and why i got them.

3. inamorato

inamorato New Member

:bowdown: i agree, modification without meaning ends in a regretful future

4. Chrissy

Chrissy dnb doll

i got my tongue pierced on a dare when i was 17...that was 7 years ago and i still love it. my tattoo's all have meaning to me though :)

5. BedBunny

BedBunny Guest

so.... i don't know that that gives you a right to insult/judge others.

i agree with the OP.

6. CyberBullets

who says i've judged people? :confused: maybe be careful in your labeling

7. BedBunny

BedBunny Guest

sorry, i don't mean you in particular.

8. 12345678

12345678 EH?

I'd love to hear this

9. CyberBullets

1st L.Eyebrow = my 20th bday present to myself. it was my milestone to my life showing my indepenance.
    1st L.Nipple* = thought it would be freaky to try it out. i enjoyed the feeling of my brow, and though this would be the next logical step.
    2nd L.Nipple* = To replace my 1st L.Nipple that rejected cause it was cbr.
    1st R.Nipple* = To match my L.Nipple, felt weird w/o it
    2nd R.Nipple* = Wanted to try and make a cross (I haven't seen many done like that, trying to push up one more) and use my nipple shield with it. Was super cool to have, and really freaky, but didn't last long.
    1st Septum = I heard it was super painful, and wanted to try it out. They were right, it was painful. Also was my 21st bday present from my sister.
    2nd Septum = I loved the rush of the 1st septum, I had to do it again :o
    Nape* = I wanted to try something REALLY different and unique, though it's more common now. I was also the lab rat for my piercer for this. She needed someone to test on, and I volunteered. Nape lasted a whole 6 weeks, but it was really cool to have. I'd do it again.
    2nd Eyebrow = I wanted to actually loop the piercings together with jewelery, but that quickly died as they both went to black titanium spikes.
    Oral Upper Frenulum = Originally i wanted to pierce under my tongue, the web there, but not enough room, so I though "hey, i'd be unique to have it done to my upper frenulum so when i smile you would see the 2 beads".

* Denotes Rejected/Removed

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  10. joy division

joy division New Member

IMO there are 2 different kinds of body mod people- there is one section who really isn't that into it...they would never get a tattoo bigger than a few inches, or have multiple "strange" piercings. They are very reserved, and maybe thought it would of been "cool" to get it at the time or whatever. Not serious at all about it.

Then there is the group who think about body mods on a constant basis, its just not a fling they had when they were in college or something- its a life long love of the art form...obviously their mods will be a little more "extreme" as deemed by most of society like full sleeves or big stretched ears.

11. Grouch

Grouch Guest

most of those don't really sound like any better reasons than someone would have to get a tribal arm band.

12. joy division

joy division New Member

fuck off I got my tribal armband on a dare with the frat bros, Todd did a keg stand and we were all like "wooo tattoo time brehhh!"

13. CyberBullets

i never said they were good reasons, but reasons why i got them, not an impluse; but feel free to critizise me and put yourself in the "judgemental" area. ;)

14. 12345678

12345678 EH?

what independence

15. TheBigWelsh

TheBigWelsh New Member

I think a meaning behind a piercing is kinda irrelevant. The reasoning behind this is that they are non-permanent in most cases, and so widely alike. An eyebrow piercing looks like an eye brow piercing and a tongue like a tongue. So the idea of a piercing being meaningful is kinda pointless, they are more of a fashionable item than an item of self expression. A tattoo on the other hand should be meaningful to you. Its there for life and will be with your forever. Every tattoo is unique (even flash) and thus says something about the person you are, or in some peoples case, someone your trying to be.

16. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

i wont judge people on their tattoos, but i will judge the quality of the work. i've seen too much bad work on this site to keep my mouth shut. i have been called an 'elitist' because of this but i could care less. you have only one skin, why ruin it??!! i will aslo judge people that come in and get stuff off the wall or to be cool. when people come in my shop and ask me my opinion i wont give it because i dont have to live with that tattoo for the rest of my life.

as for piercings, its different. piercings arent permanent. they can come out at any time.

17. Mel

I have 5 tattoos. None of them have any "deep" spiritual meaning or anything to that effect. I like the way it looks on my body, and there's no more personal meaning than that. Some are in "trendy" locations on my body. However, I love every one of mine, and I don't regret any of them, and still plan to add more.

Your "meaningful" piercings might seem frivolous to someone else, despite your explanations. However you prefer that people don't judge you for them. I think you should treat others the same, whether or not you "approve" of what they have or why they have it.

18. Mel

Judging the quality isn't the same as judging people for what they have or why they have it. It's a little different when you're involved in the art. It's ok. :) Though it's still a little... unneccessary to tell someone how crappy you think their artwork is if they're in love with it. Unless of course they ask you. :o