GUN i've never shot a gun, but i think a revolver > pistol

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by aznWOOHOO, Sep 7, 2002.

1. aznWOOHOO

aznWOOHOO Guest

looks wise :big grin: :big grin:
  2. aftershock

aftershock Guest

everybody has an opinion =\
  3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

A revolver is a pistol.

You mean a revolver > autoloader.
  4. aznWOOHOO

aznWOOHOO Guest

oh ok. i'm new to guns so i actually don't know shit :o
  5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

May 16, 2001
    Actually, i'm a big believer in learning to shoot with a revolver since they're so simple to operate/maintain and since you're less tempted to blast off rapid fire, you can put more effort into your form.

A revolver being mechanically simpler, you can just drop in the drawer and forget about it. A semi-auto pistol, you need to make sure to clean and oil it regularly, springs may wear out, etc.

A good used S&W or Ruger .357Mag revolver will probably run you about $200-250. If you're willing to spend the extra cash to get a revolver to learn on and then move up to a semi-auto once you're comfortable shooting, i definitely think you'll be better off for it.
  6. aznWOOHOO

aznWOOHOO Guest

7. nordaim

nordaim Guest

As a first gun this is a great example of what to buy, thank you for recommending this. Just make sure that if it is a .357 to get it in a 4 or 6 inch barrel, as the muzzle blast and recoil from a .357 can be rather excessive (though Hogue grips help).

The other nice thing about a .357 magnum revolver is that you can shoot the less powerful (and cheaper) .38 Special and .38 Special+P's from it and work your way up to a full heavy .357 load.
  8. gLok

gLok Offshore Member OT Supporter

Feb 12, 2002
    When i start carrying again, im going to get an airlite .357 S&W like this...

My boss used to carry two of them, one in each pocket. My reasons are...

1 .357 Magnum gets the maximum effect when trying to stop someone. Been proven time and time again.
    2 They never fail when you need them
    3 They are smaller, lighter and more comfortable to carry (fits in the pocket)
    4 I dont need 17-20 rounds for any situation, you actually need a LOT more than 20 rounds if that makes any sense.
  9. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

Oct 17, 2001
  10. Firejust

Firejust Guest

Damn, those airlites are pretty bad ass. The use of scandium (one hell of an element) really lightened them over previous airlite models