GUN i've never shot a gun, but i think a revolver > pistol

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by aznWOOHOO, Sep 7, 2002.

1. aznWOOHOO

aznWOOHOO Guest

looks wise :big grin: :big grin:

2. aftershock

aftershock Guest

everybody has an opinion =\

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Guest

A revolver is a pistol.

You mean a revolver > autoloader.

4. aznWOOHOO

aznWOOHOO Guest

oh ok. i'm new to guns so i actually don't know shit :o

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Actually, i'm a big believer in learning to shoot with a revolver since they're so simple to operate/maintain and since you're less tempted to blast off rapid fire, you can put more effort into your form.

A revolver being mechanically simpler, you can just drop in the drawer and forget about it. A semi-auto pistol, you need to make sure to clean and oil it regularly, springs may wear out, etc.

A good used S&W or Ruger .357Mag revolver will probably run you about $200-250. If you're willing to spend the extra cash to get a revolver to learn on and then move up to a semi-auto once you're comfortable shooting, i definitely think you'll be better off for it.

6. aznWOOHOO

aznWOOHOO Guest

7. nordaim

nordaim Guest

As a first gun this is a great example of what to buy, thank you for recommending this. Just make sure that if it is a .357 to get it in a 4 or 6 inch barrel, as the muzzle blast and recoil from a .357 can be rather excessive (though Hogue grips help).

The other nice thing about a .357 magnum revolver is that you can shoot the less powerful (and cheaper) .38 Special and .38 Special+P's from it and work your way up to a full heavy .357 load.

8. gLok

gLok Offshore Member OT Supporter

When i start carrying again, im going to get an airlite .357 S&W like this...

[​IMG]

My boss used to carry two of them, one in each pocket. My reasons are...

1 .357 Magnum gets the maximum effect when trying to stop someone. Been proven time and time again.
    2 They never fail when you need them
    3 They are smaller, lighter and more comfortable to carry (fits in the pocket)
    4 I dont need 17-20 rounds for any situation, you actually need a LOT more than 20 rounds if that makes any sense.

9. el gayvo

el gayvo Active Member

:cool:

10. Firejust

Firejust Guest

Damn, those airlites are pretty bad ass. The use of scandium (one hell of an element) really lightened them over previous airlite models