I've got a real challenge for the Mac Shack...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tenplanescrashing, Nov 27, 2007.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Put on your thinking caps and bear with me for just a sec.

Ok, my aunt's iMac (1ghz G4) won't allow her to log in. I tried logging in as her with every possible combinations of passwords we've ever used on her computer...no dice.

So I heard you could reset the password if you have an installation disk so I tried that. Busted out the old 10.2 Jaguar installation disk and had a try. I gotta say, the pinstripes brought back some memories. So I chose Reset Password from the Installer menu and selected the username (only one on the machine besides all of the other process "users") and input a new password. I then restart the computer and get to the log in screen and try the username and password...no dice.

Now, if I remember correctly, the name in ( ) should be your short name (when displayed in a list). I tried the short name and the User name and nothing.

So now I tried using the >console trick to get to the command line and at that point, it just kept spitting back lines stating something like "root couldn't be found" or something like that, referring to the root login. I should have wrote it down but it did this over and over and wouldn't allow me to type anything quick enough before the next set of code was spit back to me. No luck.

Next I try Single-User Mode to try checking the volumes and such...well my lack of understanding UNIX kept me from getting further than typing in a couple lines from a quick google search.

Finally, I went ahead and ran Disk Utility from the Installer and repaired permissions. No dice.

Im stuck here short of pulling the files off of it via Firewire and reinstalling the OS. I really don't want to do this because i've had a bitch of a time installing Tiger on this machine in the past and random shit seems to fail all the time. New computer/etc., isn't an option so please help if you can.

Let's see who really knows macs in the MacShack these days!

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

wow, tricky! you've tried almost everything I can think of, the reset password should have worked.

Yes you log in with the short name, another way to find it is to go back to single user mode, then type:
    cd /Users
    ls

that will list the users home folders and tell you which usernames exist.
    dont know if that is any help.

3. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

also you can set a root password with
    sudo passwd

whether you can log on with root as a user is another issue :dunno:

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

lol maybe :cool:

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:noes:

6. tenplanescrashing

the only "true" users was the one I was trying to change. I didn't know the command to list the users but everything showed up while doing the reset password thing.

7. tenplanescrashing

I tried that and it just took me back to the command prompt...

plus, I tried it in the reset password tool and nothing.

8. tenplanescrashing

yep, tried it both ways...all ways imaginable. :wiggle:

9. tenplanescrashing

so do we have any mac experts in here anymore or just new switchers?

10. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

num lock?

11. xioix

xioix OT Supporter

johnsmith vs john smith

if there is a space it might not work

12. tenplanescrashing

nope, all ways imaginable (number pad, numbers across top of keyboard, etc)

even changed it to something like bread

13. tenplanescrashing

tried the long and short names with and without spaces at the end and in between the long name (shortname was all one word)

14. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

what version of OS X are you trying to do this to with a Jaguar CD? Is the computer running 10.2, or something newer? A whole lot of account mangement under the hood got changed between 10.2 and 10.3, so running a 10.2 CD pw reset on later OS X might not be a good idea.

Also, can you describe specifically what happens when you try to log into the account normally? Does it appear to take a login but then dump you back to the users list? or does it just do the shaky window thing indicating that the password is incorrect?

Drop some more details, it'll probably help to get a better idea of what's going on.

P.S. if it appears to be doing the login and then dumps out, displace the user's preferences from the user's library folder when in target disk mode or single-user mode (if you know how in unix). I've solved login issues before by removing a nasty preference that way.

15. tenplanescrashing

I think the Jaguar disk is 10.2.4, but im not sure. I don't have any other disks unless I go digging around for my 10.4 somewhere. when logging in to anything, it just shakes. it doesn't take it then dump me ever.

as for the pw reset, I was told I could use any OSX disk...when i get back in town, i'll go searching for a tiger disk and see if that helps at all.

16. tenplanescrashing

anything? I tried deleting the com.apple.loginwindow.plist and loginwindow.plist preference files under the user and in the root library and still nothing. I didn't know what else to look for/delete.

next im going to try reinstalling 10.4.11 in target mode and see if that helps. if not, im going to archive and install 10.4

17. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I'd try to reinstall the system via the "archive and install" option. If you move things like kernel extensions back from the archive to the new active System folder, make sure you test after each one so you know it works or not

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  18. tenplanescrashing

well...if anyone cares about the outcome of this, I went ahead and ran the 10.4.11 combo update by putting the iMac in firewire mode and using my cousins laptop to run the update and everything is good now.

I couldn't run the update from my MBP because it is an Intel laptop whereas the iMac is PPC. :emo: