I've got a question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by pakman, Sep 26, 2005.

1. pakman

pakman New Member

Whenever I get home from this hellhole, I've decided to put up a decent sound system in my apartment. I also want the option of controlling what music is played, volume, etc. via my laptop. I know it sounds like a stretch, but is it possible and how much would it cost me?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

how much money do you have to spend, give us your limit

You can get a jack to run from your computer to your receiver, but if you want something wireless then id have no idea. and the jacks arent very long either, ud have limited mobility with ur laptop hooked up to the receiver.

What do you want to get out of your set up? Will it be primarily for music? Do you want some heavy hitting powerful output? I'm going to assume not really since you live in an apartment.

3. johnson

johnson New Member

I have a 12' long jack that connects my laptop to my receiver. You can buy the 24' if you need it that long. I wouldve gotten the longer one for a few bucks more but thats just too much wire for me to carry around if I need to. Ordering was easy and shipping was quick. Got here in two days from ordering from Texas.

http://svideo.com/prosvideo24.html

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

good find its hard to find cables like that long enuf

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

there are some wireless options, but i don't remember how they worked. i saw the stuff in CARGO magazine. it was like, right at the beginning of summer. pretty cool stuff, iirc, you could stream from your hard drive and control it from the component. It was kind of like a TiVo (looks, not necessarily operation).

6. pakman

pakman New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. My budget is fairly lenient, but I wouldn't want to go over $700-$800 for a full system in an apartment. Although wired is an option, wireless is the only way I want to go. Setup will be primarily for light music, movies, etc, not really too much heavy bass.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

not wireless: http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Onkyo_HT_S787C_Home_Theater_System,__9023523

8. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest