GUN I've got $1000 to spend on a rifle

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by panero, Dec 4, 2008.

1. panero

panero availability

ok heres the deal, I just bought my first gun yesterday. Picked up a Moss 500 cruiser for home defense purposes.

Im still waiting on my pistol license so my options on what to purchase are limited, I decided I wanted a rifle, Im not sure what I can find or whats the best bet but I now I want to buy it now so at least I have it and when I can learn to use it great.

So within my $1000 budget whats my best bet? Ak-47 AR-15? remember I live in NY (not NYC) so I'm pretty sure I have to get a 10 round mag for it.

Thanks for your help.

2. Here's my standard question for these threads...

What do you want to do with the rifle? Are you looking to plink at tin cans? Are you looking to hunt? Are you looking to learn to shoot off a bench for tiny groups? Before you can pick a rifle, you have to decide what its purpose will be.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For plinking with cheap ammo look for a WASR2, if your looking to shoot some distances then AR.

You can get high caps for either they just have to be preban.

4. panero

panero availability

Possibly hunting in the future , also with the way things are going in this country who knows. I do now that guns are disappearing everywhere and I'd lie to get them now while I can. Like I said I've been waiting forever to get my pistol permit but my county doesn't move swiftly to say the least. And because of their misinformation I wasn't aware that I did not need a permit to purchase long guns.

5. panero

panero availability

Ok thanks for that info, any places you would recommend for purchasing said rifles?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

CI = Central Islip? Not really any decent stores left I can recomend. Best bet is buying out of state and trying to find someone who will do transfers less then $50.

If your looking to hunt with it, especially say deer 5.56 and 5.45 are not legal for deer in NY. A 7.62 AK would be but your going to what something with the best accuracy you can get out of it which would be one with a milled receiver, like a bulgie SLR95, better choices out there for a deer rifle though for a grand you should be able to do a WASR and a SKS the SKS wouldn't be bad for deer.

7. panero

panero availability

yes central islip, suffolk county.

I went to a few shops this week, one wasn't really any help to me, I went in with a very humble attitude and explained my situation and still they acted like they didn't want to help me.

The other was suffolk sportsman, the guy in there was great and helped me out and answered all of my newb questions with a smile. His selection didn't appear to be that large but just the fact that he was willing to do his job and help me I will probably deal with him in the future.

sidenote- it really pisses me off when you go into someplace and the people act like you are bothering them, like if you don't want to sell guns don't work in a gun shop.

So an AK with a milled receiver will give me the best accuracy within the AK-47's? I'll read up on it.
    ANy good place to look to find one online?

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah people that work at most of the shops are assholes. Have you been to http://www.lisc.net ? They're in Islip. Haven't been there in awhile but they had a decent selection last time I went. TNT on Merrick has a decent selection of 'evil rifles' but prices are usually on the high side and only one guy who works there is helpful, rest are assholes. The last good shop we had around here was Wholesale Guns & ammo/burns bro's but ATF shut them down a couple years ago.

Milled reciever AK's will give the best accuracy, before the election you could find SLR95's for around $500-550 not sure what people are selling them at now, wont find any new ones in a shop they've not been imported in a few years might find someone selling on gunbroker or the EE on ar15.com, auctionarms.com is also worth a shot. Arsenal USA also sells milled they'll be a little more expensive, then you have polytech's which will be the most expensive and over your budget.

9. panero

panero availability

they were the first place I described:rofl: one guy was helpful but it was the second time when I went in to actually buy the gun that I got to talk to him after 3 other people. And they had already sold it, but it worked out better because the moss 500 they had was in that kit with the "survival gear" and was about $100 more and desert camo. the one I ended picking up was black and $100 less so it wored out I guess.

I'll take a look on those places you mention, just wondering I see most say new in box condition but prices vary from 300 to 900, any particulars I should look for in the AK's

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well when looking online you have to make sure its going to be NY compliant, no folding stocks, no flash hider, no bayonet lug, unless its preban most of which would be norinco/polytech. MAK's, Romanian, yugo, polish, bulgarian, arsenal usa and anything else built on US made receiver will be post ban and must comply with NY AWB rules.

11. panero

panero availability

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

First ones a pretty good deal, its a WASR3 though so its 5.56, mags can be a pain to find.

Second one would need the bayonet lug ground off to be NY legal.

13. panero

panero availability

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Goddam.... $600 for a rusted up WASR?

This gouging is insane.....

15. more off

more off Moderator

get an AR

16. more off

more off Moderator

mini14 is also 600-700 and has more range than an AK47 and just as accurate as a cheap AR at distance :dunno:

17. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Too bad it's a mini 14 though.

18. zumin3k

zumin3k New Member

Maybe a CETME/HK91 type rifle? Shoots a .308 and is more accurate than an AK.

19. more off

more off Moderator

yah since there's absolutely nothing wrong with them as far as functionality and accuracy goes.

20. more off

more off Moderator

best bang for the buck imo

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

And more expensive ammo, and mags. May as well get an AR then. This is for NY to remember, so would require preban ruger mags.