Ive done it, Ive figured out why consumers hates cell phone companies

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Chris, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

its because they hire idiots.

I tried calling a Verizon store here to ask if a phone Im thinking about purchasing would be compatible with their network. The phone I want is about to go on sale from US Celluar, and both companies use CDMA networks exclusively. Thus, barring some type of security device in the phone, it should work.

But when I tried to confirm this with the Verizon person, he got very quiet and said he was not familiar with this "CDMA" term I was using and then tried to sell me a phone, saying he was certain one he could sell me would work.

How is it that a person that works for a phone company cannot understand jargon that should be leaving me, the consumer, baffled. Its like telling a car salesman you want a V8 and him saying hes not sure what that is, but he has a pretty red car that might intrest you.

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ive got to admit, we've got a guy that was just hired on at our store that said this to me the other day...

"if i put an at&t sim chip into this phone, can i put my tmobile account on it?" :uh:

3. turbodeuce

turbodeuce ....................

He's obviously a moron. but to answer your question, it won't work. the technology is compatible. If the esn does not come from verizon the system won't accept it.

4. imhipyournot

imhipyournot LPC id: 34280

agreed. even the people at the stores dont know shit. whenever i go to talk to them they are just like hey this phone is nice! just look at it! it also has games!

i was up at the mall today and asked one of them if they sold the mmc's(multi media cards) that are in some of the newer phones they have(see nokia 6600). They are basically memory chips so you can put more mp3's/videos/3rd party programs on the phone. The had no idea what i was talking about. They even called there manager over to see if they knew anything and i got the same dumbfounded look.

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I find this happening everywhere I go. The guy I bought my last four cars from finally quit trying to tell me about the features of the cars because I always knew more about them than he did by the time I went to talk to him. Happens with a lot of stuff, especially if it's electronic. The only salesman I've had in years on any major purchase that actually knew more than me about the product I was interested in was the guy that sold me my last TV. I've since purchased two pairs of speakers from him and sent a couple of friends his way.

Mediocre salespeople will always be around, but just like anything else, the ones who give a damn will outlast (and in most cases, make more than) the ones who don't.

6. Chris

Chris New Member

really, it wont work? can anybody confirm this?

7. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

why don't you just call a verizon store and ask them. ;)

8. Chris

Chris New Member

:squint:

9. turbodeuce

i work for verizon. there used to be some sprint phones that worked, but either all their esns have been blacklisted (like a stolen phone) or the system will only accept vzw friendly devices (more likely).

who knows I might be wrong, you can ask someone to try to activate it, if the system does accept the esn you will definitely have to manually program the phone. good luck with that.

10. Chris

Chris New Member

The sales guy a normally deal with has been my dad's since he worked for GTE Mobilnet, so if its possible he'll do it. I just need to find out an ESN of the phone I want and give it to my guy to see if its compatible.

Or if you dont mind trying for me, the phone I want is the Nokia 6255i which will avaiable from US Cellular in January.

11. turbodeuce

I can try, but can't do it w/o an esn. shoot me a pm when/if you get the phone if you want me to try.

12. Chris

Chris New Member

OK, im going to call US Cellular in the morning, hopefully I wont get an idiot like I did tonight

13. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

This is what you have to realize though....

The general public are COMPLETE and iI mean COMPLETE idiots when it comes to cell phones. Most companies train reps to sell at a level the basic general customer will understand. Most people don't know about MMC's, ESN's and CDMA, they just know they have a cell phone.

2 perfect examples yesterday at work:

1. Younger lady comes in says her phone keeps dropping calls and has terrible reception. She was shocked when I showed her that her antenna was completely gone :noes:

2. Middle-aged man comes in exremely pissed off because he can't make a call, there is no dialtone on his cell phone

I'm not saying its right to have a store full of reps that don't know anything. In my store, 10 of the 12 know NOTHING about any of the phones. There are two of us that know the good majority of the phones forwards and backwards, even the data portions which most reps seem to be affraid of

14. Chris

Chris New Member

who do you work for?

15. DoubleWideNinja

DoubleWideNinja Yappers

the other reason is that no matter where u r, u dont get any service

16. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

response for him: cingular

17. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

yeah, that place :)

18. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

I still have yet to run into a knowledgeable rep at any store. AT&T and Sprint have a tie for the biggest idiots in-store. Cingular is the one that impressed me the most with their knowledge in-store but customer care is a bit loopy. T-Mobile is usually good on the phone side except when you try to talk to a supervisor who has the mental capacity of a junior high student. The in-store reps usually look strung out and out to space...I just wish they left their phones on the counter cause I could walk in and walk out. :big grin: but I have a conscious so I won't do that. ok, enough ranting. :) All spoken from personal experience.