A&P I've decided on a Canon Powershot S2 IS - but some questions

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Alt+F4, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Hello all,

My wife is pregnant, so we're using that (and our tax refund) as an excuse to get a "real" camera. I've been shooting with a Kodak Easyshare (don't laugh) for about three years, but I'd really like to learn more about the hobby. I went back to school for accounting, and I have one elective open; just waiting for them to offer FAS 226 - Digital Photography :cool: Should be sometime this summer.

After a week or so of reading, and searching, and reading, and trying out at stores, and reading some more, I really like the Canon Powershot S2 IS. In searching through ebay, I have a choice of any number of packages, ranging from just the camera, all the way to a ton of shit that I don't know how to use.

My question is, what should I go for right now? I think a bag and an SD card is paramount, but is the other stuff really necessary? (Note, I've been on ebay for 8 years as a buyer and seller, and I haven't really looked into these vendors. I will before I buy. Just posting up ads to get your opinions)

Just the camera:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot...591014206QQcategoryZ48539QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Camera plus two lenses, 2gb SD card, bag, tripod, etc:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot...590700653QQcategoryZ48539QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Similar to previous, but only a 1gb card, but adds in 3 yr warranty:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-PowerShot...590329172QQcategoryZ48539QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to learning from all of you. There are some great photographers here, and I've enjoyed reading your stories and viewing your pictures.

2. sony

sony Active Member

Just the camera.

3. mojito

mojito New Member

check dealsofamerica.com and slickdeals.net etc for good deals on memory cards. never buy an ebay package, they're always rip offs

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

camera packages on ebay ftl.

5. Alt+F4

Cool, thanks! Now that I won't go with an ebay package...what are some 'must-have' accessories? Keep in mind I'm really new...

I know I need a bag, and I can score a 2gb SD card anywhere, but what else? Any other lenses? Tripods? Other stuff?

Thanks.

6. Alt+F4

Also, what does everyone think about this camera as a first "good" digicam?

7. natelam

natelam New Member

It's what is referred to as a "prosumer". A class of cameras for someone who wants good quality without the challenge and huge expense attached to learning how to use an SLR. In your case, you could take a "better" picture with a prosumer than an SLR especially if you don't have the technical background. It's a great little camera and I think it's great quality for what it is.

To be honest, you won't need 2GB to start with. 512 or 1G will suffice for most anything except travel. Don't worry about attaching lenses or anything right now, my advice is to explore tha camera for what it is, find it's limitations compared to what your uses are. Then, seek supplementation to enrich the experience. If you have "THE URGE" to buy some accessories, you can't go wrong with a 58mm wide angle adapter, polarizing filter and a decent tripod, but again, what you buy depends on your usage. I personally wouldn't invest too much in model-specific accessories because A) they are expensive and B) when you get into it you'll likely want to upgrade and those accessories are a direct loss since they are not transferrable.

I wouldn't go out and buy a huge bag for it, all you'll be carrying around is the camera itself for the most part.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=206989&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Something like that would be compact and perfect.

Good luck, and enjoy your camera!

8. Alt+F4

Thank you very much natelam.

9. Ish

Ish New Member

I picked this up a month ago as my first "good" digital camera and absolutely love it to death.

I think you will enjoy it very much.

10. Ish

Ish New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some pics I've taken with it. I havent had time to really get into all the features, but thats just an example of what your pics might look like as a beginner.

11. Alt+F4

Awesome!!! Can I see more? Do you have a whole bunch uploaded somewhere?

12. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Those lenses will do shit for the camera...

I had them for my Sony W1 they don't do a damn thing.

13. Alt+F4

Which ones?

I'm looking at buying the camera here now:

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/pro...utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CNPSS2&sku=CNPSS2

Assuming in the future I might want a wide angle or polarizing filter, is there an adapter ring I need? Or will they screw right into the camera as is?

14. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I believe there is an adapter ring but it's a big waste of time and money. Don't buy a P&S and put lenses on it...I did that what a waste of $100 :hsd:

15. Alt+F4

Are you just saying initially, or in general? So you don't think I should ever put a lens on this camera? Anyone else care to comment on this? To clarify, I'm not really looking to get a side gig for Getty Images or anything...

16. natelam

natelam New Member

The range the built in lens provides is adequate for just about anything. The add-on lenses for this camera are not going to increase quality, and very likely degrade image quality, because all they are doing is increasing magnification.

IMHO, stick with the lens on there, when you realize you need something more extreme, then consider it, but consider moving up to a new system instead at that point =)

17. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

The lenses just warp the intial picture. It's not going to look good I promise you that.

18. Alt+F4

Oh man...not only did that other dude point me to the DSC H1, but now I log onto my local motorcycle forum and someone is selling a Powershot Pro1 for $550. I was going to spend around $400ish for the S2. Is it worth the extra money to bump up to the Pro1? I like the idea of the wireless remote, higher res, and external hotshoe, but I lose some optical zoom and the Pro1 has a max of 30 seconds of video at the highest res. I think the Pro1 may delay the inevitable "i need a dslr" thoughts a bit longer than the S2 would...

Thoughts?

19. natelam

natelam New Member

I would not buy a digital camera for casual use over $500. Any more and I'd save the extra money for a DSLR. Seriously.

20. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

dont worry about video on a p&s digicam :)

21. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut Elitist Member OT Supporter

:werd:

22. Alt+F4

Well I know a DSLR is way out of my breadth of knowledge, and just isn't necessary right now...though I do want to "get into" photography, there's no way I can drop the coin on a DSLR. But the wife has approved $700 of the tax refund for a good camera, and if I can get a once-$1000 camera (the Pro1) for half the price, is that not a good idea? Is the difference between the S2 and Pro1 worth the extra $120? (he dropped the price on the Pro1, with bag and mem card, to $520)

23. natelam

natelam New Member

Alt+F4, if you have $700 to drop, the patience (I didn't say the knowledge) to learn how to properly use the camera, spend that on a used D70 kit ($650+change).

Your photographic skills will grow by leaps and bounds given the proper tools to learn it from the start. You will be able to USE advice from people on this forum, who can say things like widen the aperature, or increase ISO without having to fumble through your manual for which menu to go to to change those things. You will gain a quicker and more efficient appreciation of photography and a working sense (not a haptic one) of knowledge.

Believe me...you'll regret it if you drop the extra coin on the Pro1. If you get the D70 there are a dozen Nikon folks here everyday who can point you in the right direction, give advice, etc... The best we can do with a P&S is say..."well nice picture, it's no DSLR, don't buy any accessories..."

24. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Don't bother getting the Canon Pro1 just buy a DSLR. Whether it be a brand new D50 with kit lens for $650 or a D70 used for around the same price. It's up to you...Any way to look at it the DSLR is going to be leaps and bounds better than the Pro1

25. Alt+F4

I really appreciate your opinions...but man am I having a difficult time figuring out wtf I want to do, haha. On the one hand, I was totally content with buying that S2 for $400...now I see that I can go DSLR for a couple hundred more...

Maybe a used D50, that way I get the DSLR, but it's not as expensive as the D70...while I do "have" $700 to spend, doens't mean I want to spend that much...at this point, with a baby on the way, who knows if I'll even have time for this shit. Anyways, thanks. *sigh*

edit - or even new...shit... http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=nkd501855k