I've been wanting this feature for quite some time

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Icedog, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Icedog

Icedog New Member

2. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I can't seem to get the YOUTUBE link to work.
    Let me get this straight.
    You are not talking about tabbed browsing, but a tabbed finder?

I don't get it. Why does a tabbed finder require a paid OS update?

See this is what I don't get with OS X. They make you purchase the OS every year and the incentive is some flashy new gadgets in the OS. What bugs me is that whenever I learn of the flashy new gadgets they rarely sound like something that requires an OS upgrade to get.

Like, my girlfriend's Father is running 10.2 sumpin. I desperatly need a new version of Java on that machine. When I go through the OS update thingy it wants to update to Java 1.4 sumpin. What bothers me is that Java is way, way past 1.4 sumpin. I am not convinced that 1.4 sumpin is gonna make the stuff work that I need to work on that machine.
    The best answer I can figure out is that I have to get 10.4 on that machine to get a working version of Java on it.
    WTF?!?!?!?
    On my windows machines I just go out to the Java homepage and download the damned thing. I don't have to give Microsoft $100+ dollars a year for the privledge of getting Java working - and Microsoft HATES java!

Why do you guys stand for this?

3. skelm

skelm New Member

Well first of all how about you try updating Java and then see if Software Update will update you to another version (it would be the logical choice)...

Second of all, there is nothing stopping you downloading the latest version and installing it.

You sir are an idiot.

4. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

...and for the love of god, stop saying "sumpin"

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:werd:

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:uh: please die

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I have been struggling with this for quite some time.

You know, there is the other thing with Macs.
    Why is it you can't get help from a Macs person without that person having to degrade you in the process?
    I may be an idiot, but you sir are an ass.

***edit***
    1) the updates version of Java is 30 megs. This machine (for the exact moment) is on a 56k connection. I am at pains to tie up the phone line for the entire evening when I don't KNOW that is the solution.
    2) I have been searching for a download of Java for OSX that I can download from another computer and upload to the Mac. My girlfriend was on the Mac and claims to have found a Java to try, but it specificaly says it is Java for 10.4.
    I am going to try that, but my past experience says that it may not work

8. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Why? Cause I am pointing out flaws in your precious OS?

People write posts pointing out flaws in Windows OS all the time and they don't get responses like, 'You are an idiot' and people wishing for death and such.
    Makes you guys look pretty immature really.

9. Mizzark

Mizzark OT Supporter

56k :mamoru:

10. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

:shrug:
    It isn't my machine.
    Besides, very soon it will be getting broadband. Maybe as early as this week. Maybe.

11. Kid A

Kid A '06 UK Crew

Flaw? :hsugh: The only flaw seems to be the fact you're living in the dark ages of data transmission.

12. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

the only flaw i see is in your spelling and grammar. apple is a business first and foremost. if they want to create 100 new features for osx and release it as a new version instead of an update, then they have that option. you dont have to buy it.

i said please die b/c of the "sumpin" talk. what are you, like 10?

13. agent0068

agent0068 OT Supporter

the reason everybody in here is treating you like shit is because you come in here writing in spectacularly bad english as if you know something about macs, and furthermore, given this false authority you have, you speak very condescendingly as if we somehow owe you some polite and informative response.

not to mention the alarmism over downloading a new version of java--i mean that's just funny. because that's the only thing apple's changed since 10.2. java. really. you're right, we've all been had.

14. Icedog

Icedog New Member

:ugh:

I just wanted to show off the new tabbed feature in Safari. As for Apple "making" people buy a new OS every year is simply not true. Can you name the OS they released and forced me to purchase in '06? No? Well how about in '04? Also, I fail to see how Apple is forcing anyone to upgrade, perhaps someone could explain with a little more clarity. Finally, the releases having only "flashy new gadgets" which according to you is the incentive for shelling out the $130, I don't see MS giving away any of these features for free. If you want the fancy Aero effects you need to shell out whatever Vista is going to cost.