SRS I've been tabacco free for 40 days

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BoomBoomBoy, Feb 2, 2010.

1. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Cold turkey after 30 years. Wasn't much of a stretch. I must have been ready.

Yay me!

2. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

Oh god.... seriously? cold turkey? I needed help :(

How are you managing your stress without tobacco? I've been having a hard time as of late...

edit: and congrats to the brotherhood!

3. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Actually I haven't experienced much stress. I think about having a smoke occassonally, but everytime I do, I remember what a joy it is not being a slave to smoking anymore.

4. registeredPORK

Lately I've been stressed as a motherfucker and every time I feel this way, I feel the need to go to the gas station and get a pack or something.

In fact, I'm feeling that way now... even though I enjoy being smoke free I can't help but allow that to help release my stress.

5. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Keep up the good fight my brother!

6. registeredPORK

Have you replaced smoking with something else?

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

i did all 3 stages of the patch, and was even cutting the last few ones in half to make them last longer :rofl:

8. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

hey, I quit recently and i feel like i've been swallowing a long more phlegm, or at least i've been trying. is that my body just trying to clean the crap out of my lungs?

9. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Yeah I started exercising. It really seems to help.

10. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

yup, last time i tried to quit my chest hurt so bad and i was coughing up black shit

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Congrats!! I just passed 11 years off of cigs and I can assure you, it's worth ALL of the effort it takes to quit.

I don't wheeze anymore. I don't cough anymore except when I need to clear my throat...it's usually once or twice and clear. I don't smell like smoke all the time, my breath is better, my skin is better....basically everything is better without cigarettes.

However the greatest thing is knowing that that little fucking cigarette isn't controlling my life anymore!!!

You sound like you're doing very well so saying, "Hang in there" doesn't seem to fit. However, I know how difficult it can be to stay quit.....hell quitting is easy....it's staying quit that's the real bitch.

Anyways, I wish you all the best!!

12. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

in

been two weeks

but i got an e cig
    but smell and taste is back, lungs are not sore anymore, i feel better
    and i hardly puff on this e ciq

13. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

:eek3: damn man, i guess i got no complaints then lol
    first thing i noticed is that my skin doesn't get all gross and oily and shit, i never realized it was because of smoking but i kept thinking, this is gonna drive me crazy. and now it's gone :big grin:

14. limsoup

limsoup OT Supporter

by the way, congrats boomboomboy and good luck

15. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

47 and counting..............

16. registeredPORK

There are days I feel like buying a pack "in case of an emergency" because of stress.

I haven't replaced smoking with anything... and there are days I want to smoke.

It really is difficult staying cig-free.

I started smoking because of stress/anger, and well... let's say I'm ready to explode. How have you guys handled it thus far if it smoking was your coping mechanism?

17. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

finding something else to do, I learned how to breath from a book. It hard to remember that eventually, the desire will go away, but it could be some time. That's why it's called addiction. Have you tried chantix, or the patch? Might as well take every advantage you can get, right?

18. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Well one thing I realized is that smoking wasn't going to fix whatever problem I was trying to deal with. If I was overly stressed, there were ways to deal with it including doing nothing.....now early in my non-smoking days that was difficult but I can do that easily now.

Quitting smoking is really difficult because not only is there a physical addiction to nicotine but there's also the addiction to the lifestyle. In order to break the connection with the lifestyle, I had to do many different things. I was used to playing with my cigs while smoking so I had to replace that tactile thing with something healthier. I played with anything and everything including ball point pens, unlit cigs, pencils....anything that was small and round and was easy to manipulate (no penis jokes) :).

I also had to "fake smoke" because most smokers only breath properly when smoking. You breath much more deeply when smoking and that has an effect on your body. Try it sometime.....take a bic ball point pen, the plastic kind with a pin hole in the side....stick it in your mouth and you get the restricted air intake similar to a cig. Then act like your smoking the pen, really inhale like normally and hold it, then exhale. Try to make it like your normal smoking habits.

These things were really the thing for me. Until I understood and addressed this tactile part of smoking, I was never able to stay quit. It was a huge breakthrough for me.

It doesn't magically remove all cravings and sometimes you just have to "tough it out" but it does help. It also helps to get my mind off of smoking one and provides a bridge to less stressful times.

I rarely fake smoke today but sometimes I still do because my cravings are really bad.

19. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

I stopped smoking for lent (not even catholic) and its been kicking my ass. I've been constantly dizzy. Like can't close my eyes while walking or I'll fall over. That and sleep.... I wish I could get some.

Looking forward to my 40 days.

20. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

I'm staying away from drinking, since for the last couple decades smoking and drinking were a natual marriage of activities. I'm going to wait until I really feel like I can drink w/o smoking, otherwise, I'm setting myself for failure.

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes.

To the OP: congrats on quitting; I've quit for longer though, and still gone back, because I (to be perfectly honest) got bored with not smoking. Quitting is one thing, but finding something to take its place is a different problem. If you come up with something that works, let me know what it is.

22. kimsland

kimsland New Member

Hi, I've had about 10 smokes today (ok probably 15) and I'm having one right now.
    Probably not time for me to give up, huh?

here's one for the teenagers out there: Throw them away right now!, never smoke again. I'm on 35years now, and it aint good!
    no way in hell I can outrun my 12yo. And it stinks like mad. Even dirty ash trays, they seem to attract flies.

The whole thing is disgusting!

23. rebels33

rebels33 New Member

good deal here bro

24. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

:bigok: I'm coming up on two years smoke free.

25. belacopter

belacopter New Member

How is the e-cig? I'm on day 2 now and was thinking of getting one. Do you use one with or without nicotine? I think I miss the actual act of smoking more than the nicotine right now, which is why I thought I might get one of these.