GUN I've been reading in threads that you guys say go forged over billet for ar lower.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nebulous, Apr 28, 2010.

1. nebulous

nebulous all it took was a blow to the head OT Supporter

Why? Are Billet cut lowers and uppers just more pricey because they look cool and it's a fad?

For an Ar build, I've been looking at Sun Devil and, Seekens Lowers (both billet)

Seekens

[​IMG]

Sun Devil

[​IMG]

2. mephistopholes

mephistopholes New Member

As long as it's in spec, either should work the same for what an AR lower was designed to do. Beyond that it's pretty much just aesthetics.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Forgings are better because forged metal is stronger than an extruded billet that is then machined. If you look at them, you'll notice that billet uppers and lowers look mean and aggressive, because of all the sharp lines and cuts. But more metal has to be left on a billet lower, for strength reasons.

4. BLH

BLH Member

Just because someone can make it out of a material doesn't mean that it works and is a good idea.

5. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I can tell you from experience, having had a KB in a Bushmaster AR, I'm very glad that it was a forged upper and lower. VERY glad. It ruined the upper, expectedly, but the lower is mostly fine. It destroyed the bolt catch lever, and some magazines are harder to fit. I'm not confident that a billet lower would've survived, and a billet upper would've shredded and possibly hurt me.

6. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Lowers don't matter, it's just a stamp

/thread

7. Nosolace001

Nosolace001 New Member

Sun Devil lowers are very well manufactured lowers, they are very strong and durable lowers. They are much beefier than most lowers our there.

That being said, forgings are superior... metallurgically, forgings increase the strength of the metal by reorganizing the grain structure on a microscopic level.

Billet lowers look better, are plenty strong the for application... I wouldn't worry about going either way... hell, pick the one with the logo you like the best. You will be fine