I've always wanted a C3 corvette

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Necromancer, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Anything wrong with them?

2. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

some things. Nothing that can't be fixed. They are fun cars to cruise around in

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Stuff like the door handles and window lifters are probably going to be pretty worn out by now. I used to live next door to a guy who had one; he could never get the carb tuned properly either, on top of all that. I suggested getting a fuel injection system, but he said he didn't know how to tune those. I told him he didn't need to; he didn't believe me.

(shrug)

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

Oh man, cruising around with the t-tops and windows down.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

What's the best years to look for? The70/71 had the most powerful engines according to wiki but the early 80's had the FI, correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2007
  5. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

lawl

:rofl:

6. You're going to pay a lot for an early one (say 68-72) and the mid 70's ones were pretty gutless from the factory. Also, some people think the late 70's front and rear bumper designs look retarded. They can be fitted with the nicer looking 80's front and rear bumper though. Suspension wise they're all the same. The front suspension is shared with the C2 corvette, which is basically a passenger car suspension that was designed in the 50's. In stock trim C3 will never handle well. There are many aftermarket parts you can buy for the suspension to upgrade it to the more modern transverse composite leaf springs, but you're going to pay a fair amount to do it. Other than those issues you've got body work to worry about. If you ever damage it the repair bills will be huge. Every body panel on the car is bonded, and most of the bonding strips are visible, so you have to have a real good body guy do the work. I'm sure there's plenty I have left out, so feel free to ask whatever. I'm in the process of restoring one that started out looking like this (that's not me in the pic): [​IMG]

7. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

What do you have planned for it?

Would it be possible to find one in good condition, do a bit of work on it when needed and use it as a DD? I'm not talking long commutes either. 15 min drives to school/friends houses and then the longer ones on the weekend when need.

8. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

And what's up with all the autos?

9. Sure. Mechanically they're simple to work on. As a DD the gas mileage might suck, but it sure would be fun.

10. Huh?

11. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I'll swap an LS1 into one day. :naughty:

But seriously, what year(s) should I look for keeping the price relatively low? Anything in particular to keep my eye out for?

12. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

They all seem to be automatic. That'd be no fun to drive. :hs:

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It has a V8. It doesn't need a stick. Hell, I'd rather have an auto, just so there's one less thing I have to pay attention to.

Paddle shifters would be fun though. :naughty:

14. If you want to keep the price as low as possible you're going to be into the mid to late 70's cars. The 80's C3s seem to be a little more expensive, but I'd rather have one of those. Just keep your eye out for water leaks, as there might be rust on the frame if water has been allowed to pool. Other than that it's just standard used car buying.

15. Some images I found:

80's:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

70's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll notice the duck tail on the 80's cars looks much nicer than the downs syndrome drooping rear on the 70's cars. Also, the 80's bumpers don't have the stupid energy absorbing protrusions that the 70's bumpers have.

16. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

:wackit::wackit:

Now I can clearly see what everyone talks about. As I find deals, I'll post them to get an opinion if they are a good deal or not.

17. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I'll retrofit an SMG tranny to the c3.

:naughty:

I like the feel of a stick though. :o

18. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

19. BigT

BigT LSX Crew

69 ZL1 ftw, but there were only 2 made. :mamoru:

20. There were actually 6 made. 4 were converted to L88 cars and sold as L88s. The 2 remaining ZL1 cars are the two that everyone talks about.

21. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I've seriously have only seen one manual in my search and price range.It was an older one on the vette forums.

22. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

you can always swap a 5 speed in the car. I wouldn't like seeing that but hey it's not my car

23. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

But it'd be so :bowdown: and :naughty:

24. StarBai

StarBai Mahmoud Ahmadinejad can suck my left f'ing nut. OT Supporter

Market Garden, your g/f or wife saw my post int he main forum and refered me to you.

We just bought an 81. :)

Should be getting here tomorrow. Got it on e-bay.

I'm sure i'll be askin you a billion questions!