MMA Ivan Salaverry is a can now?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I've seen this posted in a few threads :ugh2:

He was never top of the heap, but with his skillset I would never call him a can. He manhandled a guy like Riggs before Riggs was always injured and out of it in his fights.

Show respect where it is due. This guy never called out A. Silva or anything, nor is he a cocky sob. He realized he was too old and he retired.

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

A) pretty sure riggs was winning that fight decisively before eating an upkick.

B) this thread is going to turn into a Dragon shitfuck in a matter of minutes.

3. Sammo

Sammo New Member

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R78JM3GE

Here is a link to the Riggs/Salaverry fight..I probably wouldn't say that Ivan was winning before the submission. But Joe wasn't able to hurt him, suplex him even when he had a hold from the back, Ivan also had a good arm bar attempt...Joe was being controlled the whole fight fo sho

4. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i LOVED that upkick -> triangle.

Salaverry should never be bashed. And I agree, it wasnt lack of talent why he lost his last two fights, it was age and his body just wearing out.

5. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i always liked salaverry because he has a lot of heart and is supposedly one of the nicest, classiest guys in the game

although he's pretty well rounded in most every aspect, he never really performed to expectations. still, he's lost pretty much to high talent (palhares, terry martin, marquardt, lindland...)

6. Phill A. Peno

Phill A. Peno It's Filipino, stupid. OTTC, Cycling Crew, WRX Cr OT Supporter

IMO, I thought Salaverry was a very good, but not great fighter. I think he just shit the bed his two last fights. I wish he didn't retire.

7. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

:bigthumb:

always willing to answer questions, does great instructing and shows up to all the classes to teach.

he's so funny in training too

one time a bag fell and he turned to one of his instructors and said "hey cock n' balls help me fix this!"

8. It's circular logic though.

"He's a can because he lost to crappy fighters"

"Those guys are crappy fighters because their only good win is over a can"

9. It'll be relevant until Palhares picks up another win over someone people recognize.

10. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

:wtc:

Not really. When Palhares beat him - it was "hey, let's bring in a can who hasn't fought in a while to showcase this new guy".. They brought in Ivan..

Palhares may turn out to be good - but beating Salavarry isn't a large accomplishment in the game today.

But that upkick + triangle sure was a thing of beauty.