iTunes video help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Schecter1277, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Schecter1277

Schecter1277 hi

I've got tons of movies on my computer, most in avi format(won't tell how they got there) and want to watch them on my iPod(I hate ipods, but zune isn't much better).
    Ok, here is the problem, I cannot get a file to consistently convert from avi to mp4. I've tried it tons of times already, and have only succeeded 4 times to even get it on my itunes. What happens after that is another 2 movies go down the shute by being "unsupported by ipod player" or something to that effect. When I went into the "get info", section, it said those that weren't working were codec "H.264" while normally the video would say "MPEG-4." I've tried all the converters; ViVi, WinAVI, AppleTV vid converter (licenced to MP4 converter software studio)(I believe this is what produced the H.624 codec. But, like I said, this is if they would work at all. What happens 95% of the time, is it will convert to mp4, then when I click open, itunes will open, and that's as far as it goes. iTunes won't recognize the file or something, but I get no reaction from iTunes at all. When I attempt to open it with quicktime I get "error-2002: a bad public movie atom was found in the movie([insert movie])"

Can anyone fix my problem?

2. samm

samm Next in Line

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So you know, MP4 is a file type whereas H.264/AVC is a codec. I'm not sure what codec iPods like but I'm sure you could find out.

I don't know if the programs you listed give you the option for codecs as well as file types or not. I know SUPER by eRightSoft is free and gives you the option.

4. aRodriguez

aRodriguez New Member

I think the more pricey software gives better results.

5. Feingy

Feingy New Member

i used to use Melodycan and haven`t any problem with it.

6. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

I like my Nokia N800. It runs linux and doesn't care what format my videos are in.

7. Feingy

Feingy New Member

Do you see new iPod accessories? Looks smth like that IA024 VIDEO LEATHER SOFT POUCH CASE. I have just bought new iPod. Tried Melodycan free trial version to convert Napster music. Very fast conversion. 16 files at one time conversion!!!

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

I used Videora iPod Converter with no issues converting from avi to mp4. Mp4 files are encoded as mpeg-4. I believe it is mov files that are generally h.264. I'm not sure if it'll work, but I was able to get h.264 files to work on my xbox360 by changing the extension to avi. I wonder if those files will work with iTunes if they are set as mp4. If not, you may have to convert them to mpeg-4 files.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh, this needs a lock.