iTunes importing songs incorrectly with choppiness?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Feb 22, 2010.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I download all of my music from What.cd using Transmission

This is weird but the last 2 or 3 albums I've downloaded have been skipping around every 30 or 45 seconds. I've been checking comments on the torrent pages and haven't seen anyone else report the same problems.

I opened the file in VLC and there weren't any skips in the same places in iTunes. Just deleted the iTunes files and re-imported them and now there isn't a problem?

Any ideas?

2. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Now the song is playing with the skips again? Even after re-adding it? The .mp3 file in my iTunes file has the skips when played in VLC but the original .mp3 file in my torrents folder doesn't...

:wtf:

3. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

a few skips in playback can be expected as the file communicates with RIAA's servers; might be that you're low on RAM.

j/k, anyway, try re-encoding the file. right-click in itunes and do "create AAC version." maybe that will help you hunt down the problem.

4. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

if you are re-encoding from the itunes file (where the skipping is heard), wouldnt it re-encode the skip into the new format?

no sarcasm. just a question.

5. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

what you can do is this.

delete the song from itunes.

re-encode the song OUTSIDE of itunes to your favorite format. reimport. see if its any different.

6. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

if there's an actual skip in the music, then yea
    but if there's some error in the data that the mp3 codec is having trouble with, maybe re-encoding it would make it better. worth a shot, right?

I do this with video files sometimes. sometimes a re-encode can fix problems. you can re-encode it to a lossless codec like FLAC or apple lossless.

failing this I think you wanna try getting the same files from
    another source. if there are still skips maybe there's a problem with your iTunes install.