Itunes from PC to Mac?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LooneyTuned, Nov 3, 2006.

1. LooneyTuned

LooneyTuned Oil? Bitch you cookin OT Supporter

So im awaiting my MBP and was wondering what the most seamless way to transfer all my music over.

The only thing is my music isnt consolidated in my PC to one folder, its in like 4 folders among 2 drives (my c:/ and f:/) (21Gigs of them). I plant to consolidate it once its on my mbp.

The biggest thing is that i want my playlists that are on my PC, to definitly be on my MBP.

what do you guys suggest? What have you done?

2. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ethernet, firewire, DVDs

3. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

I can't remember exactly what I did, but if you can, the first step is to use itunes to consolidate all of you music.

In the preferences thing check the "automatically organize my music" box, then find the auto-consolidate thing.

the next step is to move all your music to the new computer.
    you can do this any way you want, but I connected my computers with a lan cable and just transferred it through that.

next, on your pc, find your itunes library database file and make 1 or 2 copies of that. then do "export library" in itunes and make an extra copy of that file.

now if you have all your music consolidated, this should be easy.

if it's in a location like C:/Music, you just have to open the database or xml file and do "find all, replace all" and change it to your music folder on your mac. You should then be able to transfer the library file to your mac and open it in itunes, and it'll load all your music.

I might have missed a few steps, but this will give you a basic idea of what you have to do to keep playlists, playcounts, etc.

I don't remember wxactly what I did because it was a little over a year ago. :o

Good luck. :wavey:

4. Furner

Furner New Member

File -> Backup to disk

5. iridium130

iridium130 OT Supporter

I'll be doing a mass move soon too...any more ideas? :hs: