iTunes database and transferring songs...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Jan 14, 2007.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

I have two computers. One has an iTunes installation with a library of music. The other has a fresh iTunes installation with no music. What are the chances that I can copy the music from one machine, while preserving the file structure, to the other machine and also copy the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml files and have it all just magically work?
    Thank you...

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

In iTunes, click File, Add Folder to Library and point it to your old music files. I let iTunes manage my files and copy them to the iTunes Music folder. You can set that in Preferences, Advanced. However you do it, once you have your music in your library, you can click File, Import, and point it to your old library file to bring your playlists into the new iTunes.

3. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

That's what a lot of people say but there's a problem with this approach. When iTunes imports a song it gets its song information from the ID3 tag of the music file. However, if you make any changes to said information in iTunes it does not update the ID3 tags to match. Instead, it just stores the changed information to its own database. So, if you've made a lot of changes to song information through iTunes then all that information will be lost. I wish to not lose this information.

The most common example of this are song ratings. If you've put a lot of effort into making this information you'd probably not want to lost it...

Anyway, I tried my approach and, so far, it works! To test, I just copied the database files without the music, just to see if iTunes would blow up or something. When it didn't and thought it had a library of music, I had reason to believe this would work and then copied the music files. I'm quite pleased with the results. In only my router worked properly...