Itunes and external HD question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Labster, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I recently sold my PC in favor of using my mac as my everyday comp. Anyway, I had 35 gigs of music on my old pc and I loaded it on my 1 TB external HD that I'm using as a media storage drive. Anyway, is there any way to listen to the music on there without it being added to my Macbooks HD via the import? Just curious for how I should go about this.

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

A drive is a drive...just drag the file from the external and drop it in iTunes and it will play it just fine. Just make sure like said above, don't copy to library. I hate how iTunes manages music.

3. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

I made sure to change my library path as well.

4. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

dont copy to library x 11ty billion
    learned that the hardway...
    i was wondering why i only had like 60 gigs of memory left on my then-brand new 160 gig macbook. i wish i got a firewire ex-HD than my usb.. so slow

5. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

you could set the path of your itunes library to your external, so it can manage all your music and keep it on the external. itunes is great at keeping it organized. whenever you wanna add music just drag it into itunes, it will add it to the appropriate music folder on the external and then you can delete the original that you dragged in.

6. The Bilingual Gringo

The Bilingual Gringo KMD, 3rd Bass, just ace in the hole

:werd: I love that auto organize function keeping everything under the artist names.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

you must like doing things the hard way.

+11tybillion

YO

8. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

you must like doing things the hard way.

+11tybillion

You can even use the external as a separate library. Just hold the Option key when you start iTunes, it will ask you to choose a library to load.

9. SeanJhn9

SeanJhn9 Active Member

i've got a question for you guys

whenever i go to add a folder to my library, it goes in as a folder, but once in itunes its like every song is on their own! they don't appear in the same folder once in itunes...WTF is going on!

10. pew pew pew

pew pew pew OT Supporter

umm isnt that the point of itunes? so theyre all in once place? you can sort by album/artist/etc and theyre all grouped together or type in the band name or album in the search and it will only display those items

11. SeanJhn9

SeanJhn9 Active Member

i dont think you understood what i was trying to say haha

in grid view, instead of the songs being in the folder they belong to (the cd) they're all on their own!

12. tenplanescrashing

How am I doing it harder? I drop music in iTunes and if I keep it, the file gets moved to the music folder...:dunno:

All of my songs are in my Music folder and the files are all named Artist - Song.mp3

I see nothing harder about how I do it.

13. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

why move it to your music folder and name it manually when itunes will do it for you?

instead you can drop it into itunes, let it do the naming and folder hierarchy and you can just browse for things within itunes.

14. The Bilingual Gringo

The Bilingual Gringo KMD, 3rd Bass, just ace in the hole

Damn, I didn't even know that. My setup is like the thread starter's, that I keep all of my songs on Time Machine. :h5:

15. tenplanescrashing

Because iTunes isn't where I get all of my music from. Plus, hierarchy folders isn't my idea of music management, especially if not all the ID3 tags are done properly. I like direct access to my files, which is why I don't use Bridge/Lightroom/iPhoto to manage my photos or my videos either.

16. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

You don't have to get your music from iTunes for it to organize it from you. I have only bought (1) ONE song from iTunes, the rest of my 13,000+ songs have been acquired from sources other than iTunes.

If your music is not properly tagged, that's your bad, better find a better source. If you need direct access to your songs, why not do it through iTunes. Instead of going through a folder/folders with hundreds/ if not thousands of songs, just do it through iTunes. You can search by all different categories ie, artist, genre, album, etc.. If you want to transfer a song/songs to a drive, you CAN click and drag from within iTunes to whatever folder you want.

People like you that always complain about how Apple/Mac OSX/iTunes does things have never really learned how to do things more efficiently the Mac way.

17. tenplanescrashing

I fail to see how you do it any easier than I do. I get file Lil Wayne - Fireman.mp3 from whatever source I want. Once I get it, I drop it in iTunes then move the file to the Music folder...IM DONE. You do it the same way, im sure, but then iTunes manages it by checking the ID3 tag and putting it in the Artist folder, then Album Folder, then renames the file to Fireman.mp3. So now if I wanted to copy this file and use it on my work PC, I have a Fireman.mp3 file...that's it. If I kept it MY way in MY format, I have Lil Wayne - Fireman.mp3 no matter what im doing. Wanna know where that file is? You go to Music folder and hit the "L" button...hey look, all of my "L" artists. :noes: