ittech's audiophile system eval demo mix cd (lossless) - 415MB

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ittech, Sep 17, 2005.

1. ittech

ittech "If You're Not Part of the Solution, There's Good OT Supporter

As I looked for a new set of tower speakers for my music/HT 2 channel setup I made many mix cd's to demo speakers and gear on...

This is what I ended up with and it's got quite a bit going on for 2 channel / headphones...

Wanted to share it with OT:

http://personal.ghguild.com/croso/files/audiophile_syseval_demomix.rar
    I reccomend you use a download manager as it's 415mb.

to Burn use the nero nra file to get the track order.

All the files are seperate WMA9 pro lossless format files. All were ripped from a plextor premium burner with EAC then converted to WMA from wav... This should be bitperfect to retail CD's.

An explaination and how to use...

All the tracks on the CD are tracks from 2 channel CD's. They are all artist works, no "test" tracks like THX demos, bass demos, pink noise, etc... That's for a later CD...

I am familiar with how these tracks sound like on a B&W Nautilus setup, and a Dynaudio Evidence Reference, as well as other $70k+ 2 channel only setups.

I am also familiar with them on my current gear, Sennheiser HD650s/Xcans, and Creek 5350se/Soliloquy 5.0's and now 6.5's...

You may be familiar with them but for it to work for you you should listen to them on stuff you can't afford, then try to get close in your budget for the types of tracks you like/listen to most often.

Suggested Track List Order & My Notes

1. Peppino d'Agostino - Close to the Heart - Acoustic Fun
    Great strings, though not "in tune", listen for full sound, fingers on frets, tapping in center image.

2. Dave Matthews - Live at Luther College - Ants Marching
    A live performance, recording is decent but not "great". Listen for different audience voices and clarity, clapping sound be realistic and set away from music. Soundstage is a bit collapsed, that's the recording.

3. Peter Gabriel - Up - More Than This
    beginning of song is right channel mainly, good to ensure hookup is correct, it's been wrong in some pro stores. Low synth bass should be strong and clear, not overpower vocals. Great dynamic range. Mixed so soundstage isn't that prevalent but the multitap background echo on the vocals should be easily distinguishable.

4. Norah Jones - Come Away With Me - Painter Song
    Great vocals on center, guitar off to right in soundstage. Good for testing noise floor of system.

5. Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile - Into the Void
    This is HDCD, good players will play the full 24bits and recognize hdcd.
    Soundstage is amazing, requires a 3way system or very good 2-way to not fall flat with the dynamics of bass and there's just a lot going on in this track.

6. The White Stripes - Elephant - Seven Nation Army
    Very weird track but I like it. it's really rather weak, but it's my test of how revealing the system is... The "faker" and harsher it sounds the better the stereo it seems. However this will tell you how revealing the system/speakers are and you may not want superdetailed superrevealing sound if most of what you listen to isn't a reference recording :)

7. Talking Heads - True Stories - Papa Legba
    Fun with sound... The swooping should go WAY out in the room and come through your head if you are in the sweet spot... soundstage is excellent then fades as the song goes on...

8. Roger Waters - Amused to Death - Three Wishes
    Great soundstaging all the way through, lot more subtle than talking heads though... The lady talking should be to your 10'oclock or even 9'oclock position (left and to side) Listen for the "genie" at 1:50 or so, should be deep full and clear 2 voices, and should swoop over your head, forward. This goes LOW.

9. Seal - Best 91>04 Bsides - Waiting for You
    Acoustic set done in a studio, but they mix in some fake clapping which should sound "out of place" lot of detail in the instruments.

10. Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven - Spanish Harlem
    This is how to tell if you have distorted bass... the bass in the background should not overbear the vocals, and should be tight and clean. No woofer flutter when played loud. this will make you turn down the crossover/volume on your sub if you have it set too high. Piano should sound real. This is sweet on tubes or B&W's, etc...

11. Robbie Robertson - Music for the Native Americans - Ancestor Song
    Good noise floor test in the beginning, soft voices should be clear and set in different positions in the soundstage. Drums... you can hear the fingers/hands slapping off the drums on good setups. otherwise it's pretty muddy.

12. Alison Krauss - O Brother, Where Art Thou? - Down to the River to Pray
    In a big hall, should hear the acoustics of the room. should hear background voices as seperate voices, very clear.

13. Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones - Easy Money
    Another great recording, listen for the vocals here should be dead center, music all around but frontal.

14. B.B. King - Blues on the Bayou - Blues Man
    Gotta have love for the king. Full warm sound = good IMO... some speakers are too dry on this one and BB sounds white. :o

15. Eric Clapton - Unplugged - Malted Milk
    Live Clapton, great soundstage. Great recording. Hate the song. :o

16. Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - Feel Like Going Home
    Excellent recording from mofi gold disc... should hear all little details of strings/instrumetnts. voice is amazing. low midbass strong.

17. Utah Symphony Orch - Reference Classics - Symphonie Fantastique
    Listen for the choir voices... There is a pipe organ in the background playing low notes. it's low volume but you should hear different low notes in the background on Full Range systems... you won't hear it on most systems as different clear strong notes, with 0 distortion when turned up. This tortures my klipsch sub but the 6.5 towers excel. Velodyne servo sub is perfect.

18. London Philharmonic Orch - Adiemus II - Song of the Trinity (shortened)
    Mixed recording but should have silky highs, should not be too bright. Klipsch horn speakers are unlistenable on this. Center soundstage, fill echo.

19. Hilicon Ensamble - Reference Classics - Concerto in D (shortened)
    Bach... a Telarc Reference recording. an orchestra recording that is outstanding. I don't care much about classical but this is amazing.

Most of these tracks/albums have been used by other reviewers for stereophile, absolute sound, and other high end audio reviewers. Others I just like, others are just to test the system.

Hopefully most of you can appreciate these tracks and how they sound even if you don't listen to those artists ever. Low end sennheisers (497) and PC soundcard will do pretty well on this test, considering everything. Low end speakers can't come close. Not even Klipsch/logitech pc speakers.

Feedback please :)

edit: try to burn at 4x on good media, turn VariRec on if you have it...

2. ittech

Oh yeah and I HIGHLY reccomend every one of these albums that the tracks came from if you love hifi and are willing to listen to stuff outside your "genre" :)

Please buy them FTW... look for the telarc's, MOFI's, and other good master recordings or SACD...

3. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

4. johnson

johnson New Member

downloading, thanks

5. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Sounds pretty good on my Klipsch GMX-A 2.1 pc setup.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  6. johnson

johnson New Member

I got an error saying

Some audio items had to be removed because they could not be opened (perhaps filed have been renamed or removed on your hard drive or the drive letters have changed).

When trying to burn with Nero. When I open up the files individually on winamp, only one plays. Seal - Waiting for you

7. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Yeah, the nero file wouldn't work right for me either, but I still got it to burn ok.

8. ittech

You can't play them in Winamp, only windows media player 9 or 10 with the latest codecs.. they will autodownload from microsoft.

Sorry about the nero file, you should be able to burn them to audio cd with nero by just putting them in your own order... i guess it uses relative path.

9. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

That is a good track list. Alot of variance. I've been looking for a good demo disc to play when I look at speakers. This sounds pretty good on my HT setup in stereo mode.

10. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I had no problem playing in with Nero's software, or in windows media player 10

11. Ronin

Ronin Guest

downloading, thanks for putting this up

edit: finished download but it did not finish correctly, i wasnt really paying attention so this may have been my fault, I got some of the songs though and from what I heard its a pretty cool selection. Im redownloading right now.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2005
  12. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Cool stuff. Roger Waters FTW.

13. ittech

:werd:

I think he's pretty kooky but you gotta love the art... great to listen to amused to death all the way through with your eyes closed.

speaking of that you should be able to close your eyes and not be able to point directly at the speakers from the sound. :o

Now I just gotta drop some G's and get a multichannel setup going so I can make samples for multichannel... I've got all the stuff setup to rip multichannel SACD/dvdaudio to multichannel WMA or AC-3 (yech)...

BTW I do have a rip of Keb Mo's SACD to 24/96 wma if anyone's interested.

If you are demo'ing gear just play the first parts of each track and get really used to it...

I would also appreciate any suggestions for other tracks to put on... I may chop each song down to max 2-2:30 length and throw more on there to make it more varied and a better demo...

14. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

thanks a lot man, i didn't have internet for a while and I was afraid the link was going to die...

15. The_In_Kid

The_In_Kid OT Supporter

wow man sounds great even though i don't have some crazy conrad-johnson, krell setup like my uncle i wanna try it on his setup but how he'll feel about a burned cd is beyond me lol

16. ittech

burn it at 4x or some slow setting, nero reads the wma lossless and converts to audiocd perfectly... even the hdcd encoding on the NIN track is preserved when you do that.

will sound great on some CJ's :bigthumb:

17. ittech

Bump because I'm hosting this again

18. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Cool mix, I got it the first time around. :)

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

im thinking

wow this mix looks REALLY familiar

im like, oh yeah i have it, lol

20. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i need to burn my own mix but i really hate the advanced ripping process, its a PITA

21. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

thanks again

22. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

Sweet! Thanks man! :bigthumb:

23. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

awesome man :bowdown: Once I get some more blank CD's im gonna try this on my B&W Matrix 3's. Im sure its gonna tell me how inadequate my Harman/Kardon reciever is :mamoru:

24. emorphien

emorphien New Member

zzzzzz most burners should be able to handle writing considerably faster than that these days without errors.

25. ittech

yeah but there are supposedly less c2 errors and jitter when done slower. :coolugh:

not that I can hear the difference :o