SRS Its too expensive, should i quit school?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by big 1, Jun 21, 2006.

1. big 1

big 1 New Member

i have a problem that i need advice with. i have two more years left of university and its costing me so much money. i owe the university 1500 dollars before i can even enrol in classes for this september. once i do enrol in classes, i have to pay 450 dollars enrollment fee. once that is paid, third year tuition alone is estimated to be 5200-5800$. plus books. my question is, is should i drop out of school? its so damn expensive, my summer has gone to waste. im so stressed about paying for school that i cant focus on relaxing or taking advantage of the weather . all i do is work. should i just forget about school??

2. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Get loans. Can you afford not to go to college? Whats your job outlook like right now?

3. johan

johan Active Member

Good point. How's the rest of your life look without college?

Be honest. College isn't a must, and it's not for everyone...but think through the alternatives. Mostly...it isn't that pretty.

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

School is an investment - you put money in with the hope that you'll make back what you invested and then some after you finish. Unlike a traditional investment, though, the fund manager is YOU, which means that you're responsible for the actual effort in making your money make more money (get good grades, be diligent in searching for jobs, keep up-to-date with industry certifications, etc). If you believe that getting your degree will bring the kind of returns you want, stick with it. If you're not up to the effort of making your investment successful, then cut your losses.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
  5. The Secretary

The Secretary My domestic skills will rock your socks off!

Did you fill out your fafsa at the beginning of the year? I think even now you can get in before the deadline I believe. Have you applied for any scholarships, grants anything? Even for the shitty state i live in offers 3800 a year to go to school, if you are a 03' grad or later considering other stipulations. School is definitely an investment. My parents dont have college degrees and it is harder than shit to get a decent paying job in the job market that isnt manual labor. You have approximately 10 years to pay back any loans you take out. Go to edamerica.com and see what you can find that may be able to help you out. The bureaucratic red tape of the state funded institution is oustandingly high. However, it can be waded through with the right information and the right attitude.

6. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

if you can go to college and do well please go. I wish I could go but i know i dont have the focus for it right now.

try to get a schlorship or a loan. good luck

7. michaele36

michaele36 New Member

what about parents or relatives? can they help you out?

8. big 1

big 1 New Member

hey everyone, thanks for the advice. I have applied to a few scholarships and grants, ill ahve to see how things turn out...thanks, OT for keeping my mind solid. ill try my hardest to return to school in september.

9. johan

johan Active Member

Good for you.

Remember that adage: if you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

N.B.: I don't necessarily think that one will be ignorant without an education. I know a lot of dumb F's who have accumulated a lot of educational credentials (it's not hard, the secret is to just stick to it) but don't seem to have much other knowledge.

Still, you get the picture. You're much better off WITH an edjamacation than without.

Good luck to ya.

10. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Also, don't overlook lendingTree.com. They have some very unique student loan programs available that have different requirements then the federal student loan program.

Personally, I think college is well worth it for certain diciplines or if you want to work as a teacher. However, there are some degrees where you will end up with a LOT of debt and skills that are not worth crap in the world. Yes you may have knowledge about a subject but that doesn't necessarily translate to money to pay off the loans.

The best earning degrees are in business (accounting), science (engineering) or computers (computer science). Other degrees may be more fun and easier to obtain but if you want to pay off those loans quickly, upon graduation, stay with one of those 3 degrees.

However, working in a job you hate sucks....money only helps relieve that a little.