GUN Its time to play noob time! V. Forward assist. What does it do?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ghostrider4450, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

On the AR15, what does the forward assist do, or allow you to do?

2. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

it assists loading a round from the magazine into the chamber, this is useful when you're chambering a round while trying to be quiet (can't slap the assembly into place)

also helps when a stubborn round is jamming

3. Ghostrider4450

Can you help to explain how to do this? Sounds interesting. Do you rack the chanrgin handle, while pressing the fwd asst? Thus helping to push the bullet though.

4. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

no, rack it, slowly let it go, it will slightly pull a round from the magazine and stop

then if you pusht he forward assist, the spring will slam it forward

if you work the charge handle and the forward assist, you can load it with no noise

5. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

The forward assist is 99% useless. It allows people to do more harm than good by jamming in out of spec cases rather than just ditching them and moving on. If a round won't go in on its own forcing it just means it sure as shit isn't going to come out once fired.

The technique 993kgt mentioned for quiet bolt manipulation is the 1% it's useful for but not really because it's silent but because you should confirm that your bolt is locked up after an administrative press check.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

It's useful when your carrier and the inside of the upper are dry, to lock the bolt into battery, but as Shackles just mentioned, it's hard to know when it's a dryness issue vs. an oversised case issue. You can fuck yourself hardcore by jamming one in there that doesn't want to go.

If you ride the CH forward, you'll often prevent the bolt from fully locking up, or even going far enough for the lugs to enter the chamber. A couple smacks on the FA will usually lock it up for you. To prevent having to do this, don't ride the damn charging handle. Let it go.

7. Ghostrider4450

Yeah I ususally just rack it back and let the handle go. The spring takes care of the rest. Good info, I really had no clue about it.